Pyry was designed in Finland as fighter trainer. Its first flight was in March 1939. Series of 40 aircraft was ordered and these were delivered in 1941. This first model had a tip stalling tendency and longitudinal instability. In 1944 appeared modified model, with different wings and extended fuselage, which gave satisfactory flying quality. Pyry served as long as 25 years. Photographs present VL Pyry with elliptical wings preserved in Finish museum.