P-26 detail set
Airplanes between the two world wars are often neglected by most of the manufacturers and I am very glad to see when any product is released regarding this period. One subject which is more or less well covered is the famous US fighter, the Boeing P-26. The latest release regarding this airplane is the photo etched details set in 1/72 scale, released by Brengun and this set is dedicated for the AZ Model kit.
To my regret I have no original AZ Model kit so I will focus this review on analyzing the Brengun parts and matching with the extract from archive images. First to note that the etched set comes in a small transparent plastic bag and inside is another plastic bag as well as a small transparent sheet with instrument panel and windshield. This product has stock name BRL72026. Etched parts are made on nickel steel and this is excellent since the interior of the P-26 is also in natural metal/silver color so you need no painting there, just few small elements.
First thing you need to do is sanding of the floor part and fuselage inside framing. After that you can continue with basic elements which wide cover parts inside. I have to say that etched parts are very smartly designed and it is most obvious with front wall section, based on part 10 where the bottom needs to be bent and with parts 7 make a small box, the same as on the real airplane. This is where the rudder controls are then placed. I have just two remarks regarding to this section- I think you should avoid use of original kit part 11 as base for main instrument board but to place etched part with foil direct on the part 10. Second- lower instrument panel is mounted inside box at bottom, not on the bottom edge of the main instrument board.
Another note should be directed to the etched part no. 41, this is windshield framing. If you take a look at the images you will see that there is only a bottom frame with very thin frame line at the front. From my point of view it is far better to use only transparent windshield from foil and skip this etched part. More details you can see on the images from the gallery:
1. Frame of the windshield show just bottom large framing, not connector at the edge of transparent plates.
2. Open the side door and some interior is visible, the etched part matches this perfectly
3. Gas control on the left side of the cockpit interior is more or less well represented by the Brengun etched parts.
4. Lower instrument board, clearly seen positioned far behind main instrument board. Best way is to place it on the rod used for rudder pedals.
5. Right mid section of the cockpit, visible bag as well some of the cables.
6. Pedal, note it is of dark color, possibly black and it need to be bent, take care when working with etched parts no. 9.
7. This image give obvious details of the windshield where is seen just a thin line on the front of glass plates. Note that there is a gap between plates. Clearly visible at the rear is the metal plate.
8. Open cockpit door and details on the cockpit inside.
9. Note this variation of the seat.
10. This close up give good details of the leather cover of the top of the cockpit door as well pilots head rest.
11. Etched set is also possible to be used for the other versions of the P-26, note external details.
12. Close up of the engine, etched set provides part no.40 for easy wiring of the engine.
13. Wheel without cover.
14. Cover with three bolts on it.
15. Wheel of different type, not cover in kit or etched set.
No matter of some little issues, this is an excellent set and I highly recommend it. Since it covers much of the interior sections, my personal opinion is that it could be used on other kits in 1/72 scale without problem. You can find and purchase this product here!
Great thanks to Brengun for the sample product.