Author Topic: icelandic ash cloud - hysteria or truth?  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
icelandic ash cloud - hysteria or truth?
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:48:10 AM »
Does this volcanic ash cloud over Europe have any effect on military aviation? I would guess this is all a bit overrated. As long as you do not fly very close to the source no problem?

samuraj77

Re: icelandic ash cloud - hysteria or truth?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Well, it is not at all that naive situation, so I think it is good move to close airspace for all flights.
I beleive there was an accident involving BA flight somewhere close to Java some time ago, when aircraft flew through a cloud of Vulcanic dust, all engines failed, but fortunately crew menaged to restart the engines on safe enough distance to rescue the airplane.

I have heart on the news that several NATO planes (I belive F-16) have tried to flew trough the cloud, all menaged to land but dust particles similar to glass were found inside the engine...

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
I am not informed about the Europe but I know that long time ago, Indonesia have received from USA Crusader fighters and after two years, they was out of order due to the Vulcan dust.

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »
Yes ok if you fly right through it. That was the case with the flight in indonesia. But a volcano in iceland i cannot imagine it to have effects for a flight from frankfurt or cologne to the south like greece or spain. 1 day with all airports shut down will cost our economy about 1 Billion Euro loss.  :-think

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
Economy must be somehow different considered in that cases. We have case of the catastrophe here and we in Serbia like to say 'Most important is to stay alive'. Volcanic dust can badly damaged and also down any airplane so in cases like this it is most important to keep people alive. As result of the reduced traffic, last days is much raised surface traffic so in general no hard lose (except of the speed of traffic).

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
Yes health is most important. But what if it goes on for 2 years  :-green

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
Two years... well, we will share the same destiny as dinosaur's :( Nobody can face against the nature.