Author Topic: No- this is not art  (Read 5716 times)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
No- this is not art
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
Today I spent a lot of time on study of one airplane which is in this moment subject of research and drawing job but also I have a lot of work in applying new brushes for me in Photoshop. And when I install some new brush I like to try how it look like in work. And this what you see is made in some... not more then 20 minutes. And this push me on some thinking in my head... I have see a many of the artist which actually put images of real aircraft on some Filters and Plug In conversion and make something which they call art. How many of nice aircraft is digitally created and then put over the image background. Why? Is this art... this is not hard to create any form, shape or texture in Photoshop... I don't know, just thinking  :-think

felixdk

Re: No- this is not art
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
  I have to agree with you, No. 1, that just applying artistic filters in Photoshop or Painter does not constitute art.  There's nothing wrong with doing a drawing based on a photograph;  in many cases that's the only way that the artist will ever see that plane, much less see it flying.  I don't think that there's anything wrong with basing a profile on a 3 view drawing either, as its the painting that makes it come alive.  My preference is to completely redraw the 3 view in Corel Draw, changing and accurizing the drawing by referring to every photo that I can find.  It' a lot of extra work, but I've come to distrust all the plans that are readily available, as I haven't found one that wasn't messed up in some way.

Offline divanov

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:59:31 AM »
Although I don't work with profiles and 3 view drawings like No.1, Felixdk, Santynus and rest of the friends from forum and all around world :-red, I agree with opinion that only changing actual photo within Photoshop is nothing more than playing or learning what Photoshop can do. Beside Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw and some other graphic and prepress programs, I had had to learn maybe the best engineering design program - AutoCAD from Autodesk. This program is one of few able to be really precise in true designing of airplane or anything else: mechanical, architecture, electronics etc. Problem with 3 views that we deal with on our computers, is that they are in 99% SCANNED originals or their copies, not design drawn from scratch! There is problem with old wrinkled paper of original(at best) or just xth copy of copy of original(at worst and very common). There is also problem with distortion during scanning, ability of man who performs scanning to achieve most from scanned material etc. So, for me, only really accurate profiles are those which are produced from "blank page" at your monitor in some of next programs: AutoCAD, Catia, Pro Engineer etc. Unfortunately, these are VERY expensive programs for enthusiasts like us - AutoCAD - 4000 Euros in Europe! Of course there are much cheaper and simpler substitutions for such works like Intelli CAD, Brick CAD, etc and most of them have prefix of suffix CAD. Only then those wonderfull profiles can be 100% technically accurate. For 3D rendering there is also 3D Studio MAX and lot of smaller programs that are helping in creating true masterpieces of electronic art - our friend and member of this forum Skyraider3D is living example and (in my humble opinion :-red) truly expert for this.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »
Great words gentlemen's  :-ok Just to note that not only in 3D but also in 2D graphic, as I do, can be make very realistic art  ;)

Offline divanov

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »
No doubt!!! :-obey :-ok Just mentioned 3D as ultimate level of making engineering design, not as art. :)

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:59 PM »
Hallelujah ;)