Author Topic: Italian Paratroopers  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Italian Paratroopers
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »
 :-wise

There are pictures in the SM79 challenge of Italian paratroopers being loaded into Spavieros.  I honestly did not know Italy hsd paratroopers.  Do any of you guys have any details, photos?
Leo

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
Re: Italian Paratroopers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:30:26 PM »
Found on the web

Italy reports it pioneered parachuting and the airborne soldier with the first combat jump during the First World War in 1918. By 1938 Italian paratroopers were trained at Castel Benito, which was the first Italian parachute school and was located near Tripoli. At the outbreak of the Second World Warin 1940, three paratrooper battalions were formed two of which had the task of training and raising a parachute division by 1942

The first paracadutisti to see action were battalions from mainland Italy and Libya during Operation Compass. They were tasked with blocking the British advance in Cyrenaica during the withdrawal of the 10th Army. The Italian paratroopers successfully accomplished this, mission blocking the British thrust into Tripolitania.

One of the most epic pages of military history, according to both British and German accounts, was written by the Folgore Division at El Alamein in North Africa. It is an interesting history of the Italian colonial paratroop battalions. It revealed, in the spring of 1941, military planners decided to conduct the first parachute operatoin, which would also be the last. The drop occurred in 1941, during the final offensive in Greece over the Greek island of Cefalonia.

Current examples of Italian airborne operations include the mission of the Tactical Group, "NIBBIO," with the 187th Parachute Regiment "Folgore and the two Folgore parachute companies of the Apini regiment conducting its mission during "Enduring Freedom." In Afghanistan tasked with neutralising and destroying pockets of terrorism still present along the border with Pakistan.

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »

Mfg495:

Thanks for the info about Italian paratroopers.  The bit about Italian paratroopers in WWI was most nteresting.  Would you have any idea as to where one might find additional information on this event?

Many are not aware of how important Italian troops were to Rommels efforts.  Most of his troops armor and airforce were Italian and they were supplied by the Italian navy.
Leo

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
Leo I will do some research  :-think

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline santynus

• http://www.fw190.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • focke-wulf Fw190 & other aircraft

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:54:36 PM »
Very good links my friend  :-ok

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline santynus

• http://www.fw190.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • focke-wulf Fw190 & other aircraft
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
thank you Mick :-red :-wave

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »
Santynus:

Thank you so very much for the links on Italian paratroopers.  I have alwaus wondered why the Italians have gotten such a bad rap in both WW I and WWII.

Leo

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »
Were italian air force units involved in ethiopia?

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »
Were italian air force units involved in ethiopia?

Italy invaded their former African colony of Ethiopia on October 3, 1935, and their planes, tanks and troops dominated their nearly defenseless enemy. Following the Ethiopian incursion, Mussolini sent 660 planes and 75,000 soldiers in October of 1936 to aid the Nationalist movement of Francisco France at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. The Regia Aeronautica, outfitted with generally inferior and consistently underpowered airplanes, gave a mediocre performance in Spain

Source - http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/italy/italymain.shtml

Some very good information here.  :-ok
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:15:34 PM by mfg495 »

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »
Thanks!  :-ok

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

Somewhere I read that the Italian Airforce of 1935 was the strongest in the world.  Which planes wold they have committed to Spain 1936-39?  I would expect that the Cr 32 would have been in play.  This was a very nimble fighter.  I believe the SM 79 was also used. 
Leo