Author Topic: Challenge- Sabre  (Read 45273 times)

Offline santynus

• http://www.fw190.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • focke-wulf Fw190 & other aircraft
Re: Challenge- Sabre
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
 :-eek very nice  :-obey :-wave

bogsituacije

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »
Very cool :-obey :-obey :-obey. Felix rulez :-obey :-obey :-obey :-tri

Metar

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »
Truly an eye's delight

The cockpit has some impressive detailed panting

I'm impressed, imagine now the bird ready...

I rest my case,

:-ok

Metar

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2007, 12:11:25 AM »
Let me show you my very ,very, first metal strokes

I think that I might be  in the right direction
What do you think?

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2007, 12:16:01 AM »
To regret no. You are trying, from my point of view, to paint direct over the drawing. You should make layer over drawings and paint in this layer. Please see again topic "Illustration basic technique". If you have any problemwe can solve this here or in the topic "Speed road to Photoshop"... if you have basic problem in the Photoshop tools and technique.

But shade you have choose is very good and show that you have sense... just you need more practice :)

Metar

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »
What you are seeing is a snap shot of my screen
This is made with layers so far 3 
The drawing layer at this phase is turned on just to turn the work easy

Let me show you bigger image

Metar

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2007, 12:43:20 AM »
And yes I'm following your tutorials specially the metal one,
this is  my interpretation of them

felixdk

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2007, 02:24:49 AM »
As No.1 says, you've got the right idea on the colors  :-ok.  One of the challenges of shiny bare metal is getting that sense of reflectivity in.  You've got the nice, deep blue reflection on the upper surfaces that you would see at altitude.  The hard part will be to choose the other tones that you use.  Depending on whether the aircraft is flying above clouds or terrain, the bottom surfaces can reflect the bright light of the cloud layer or the dark ground, which does not reflect much light.  The light reflected from a cloud layer can remove most of the shadows on the bottom of the plane, causing you problems when you try to achieve a 3D effect.  The good part is that you're doing it on the computer, so you get to try it over and over until you're satisfied  :).

Layers, layers, layers, that's one thing I've learned in my limited exposure to digital art.  I'm afraid that I'm pretty much a traditional artist, not a digital artist like No.1, so other than making use of layers, I do everything with the brush/airbrush/pencil and eraser with occasional forays into masks and solid fills.  At least I don't have to clean up the mess that I always make with paints  :-green.  I think that you're in good hands with his tutorial.

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2007, 07:01:50 AM »
Sorry Metar- I see better now  :-red Yes- this is good advantage and just go in that direction  :-ok

Metar

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
felixdk,

You brought over the table important ideas about the aircraft positioning and how this position interacts with  reflections,
I was skipping completely this "important" detail  mainly due to  lack of experience on my side

With those considerations in my mind I think I will have to change some reflections specially the bottom ones.
watching some Sabre photos will help in this issue

The first thing I have learn when started to use photoshop was  layers more layers times layers and never, never, directly touch an image, if you do it you are lost.

I like Oil paintings but I'm a total zero
I have seen on your site  "Another Hot Day at Kep" and I like it it has movement and believe me it worth all the mess
I see the mess more as minor collateral effects

Thank for you for your valuable critique

Metar

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Sorry Metar- I see better now  :-red Yes- this is good advantage and just go in that direction  :-ok

No problem at all
Please keep the critique engine at full throttle it's the only way to improve and achieve better results

Thank you

bogsituacije

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »
That's very very nice just keep working man.

Offline Skyraider3D

• Beginner
  • Plane Insane!
    • View Profile
    • Skyraider's 3D Aviation Art
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
Some have already seen it, but here's a Sabre profile I did some time ago:

Aviation art & photography @ www.skyraider3d.com
Prints & T-shirts available @ www.digitalaviationart.com

felixdk

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
Ronnie, you've really handled the shadows beautifully on this profile.  I'd love to see you do some 3D images of the Sabre.

felixdk

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »
Metar,

I don't know if it may be of use to you, but one "crutch" that I came up with to help me lay out consistent shadows on the airframe is to create a layer on top of everything else called "sunlight direction" that consists of nothing but a red arrow.  It indicates the angle of the rays of the sun (the length of the arrow shows me the angle of the sun from port to starboard, the aircraft, of course, is never backlit).  You can move the arrow around as you work to make sure that your shadows always indicate parallel rays.