Author Topic: Tauro Macchi C.202  (Read 17236 times)

Offline modellius

• View Profile
Re: Tauro Macchi C.202
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 01:19:46 AM »
Now very nice build and excellent  informations gathered here, must follow gopic indeed !

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:06 AM »
Thanks all!

Jicehem: I did some research and the left wing was actually the longer one, and Tauro accurately molded the model to this dimension. On the real airplane the left wing was 21 cm longer.

Here's a photo of the little machine getting close to beginning of painting. I've still got some rescribing to do and another light coat of primer first......
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/2AF097/IMG_4095_zpsilmeqrit.jpg
Tauro Macchi C.202

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
:-ok

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
Jicehem: I did some research and the left wing was actually the longer one, and Tauro accurately molded the model to this dimension. On the real airplane the left wing was 21 cm longer.

Hi mate,

It's not logical. To counteract the natural tendancy of the plane to turn to the left with a engine (propeller) running to the right, the right wing should be longer than the left one... There is something that I don't understand  :-think

Jicéhem :-wave

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Actually, as I think of it, the Macchi designers were attempting to counteract the torque of the propeller and engine which would tend to cause a left-wing heavy condition. Their solution, rather than offsetting the vertical fin like some others did, was to extend the left wing, giving it a little more lift. I don't suppose the designers (this was used on the MC 200 also) thought to change the camber of the left wing for added lift but rather just extended it. In essence, they were simply trying to "pick up" the left wing by adding lift. I'm guessing they used their slide rules to determine if adding wing span caused less drag than offsetting the vertical fin.

As to this model, I've begun painting and will get a photo or two posted soon!

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Now I see what I miss :( ... I could send you 1/48 belts for Italian fighters, it would work nice with kit and it will result in nice review... :-wall

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »
Well.....sure, if you wish to send 'em over I'll do a review! I've not put belts in this one yet as a matter of fact. I thought I had an extra set of Italian harness here but I can't find them.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
Well, I will send it... hope tomorrow :))

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
No hurry, mate!!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Well, kit is progressing, you need to be inside ;) Do you have any other kit of Italian plane?

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
Scott, I'seen that Italeri will release soon a Macchi c.205, with the "green mottles" furnished on the decal sheet...

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »
No.1, I've also got the M.C.200 to build now, and I can also still fit the belts on this 202 easily. I'm still trying to find a couple of "inexpensive" Re.2000/2001 kits also..... I have a strong urge to build either a Hungarian (maybe even a Heja conversion) or Italian Reggiane!

That M.C.205 sounds excellent, draken, and a Hasegawa 202 is also on my wish list.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »
Then we go ;)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 05:40:36 PM »
I just wish I had been smart enough to purchase some of the Classic Airframes Regia Aeronautica kits back when they were reasonably priced! Our little hobby shop here had some but his prices surpassed my ability to pay several years ago........

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
Actually, as I think of it, the Macchi designers were attempting to counteract the torque of the propeller and engine which would tend to cause a left-wing heavy condition. Their solution, rather than offsetting the vertical fin like some others did, was to extend the left wing, giving it a little more lift. I don't suppose the designers (this was used on the MC 200 also) thought to change the camber of the left wing for added lift but rather just extended it. In essence, they were simply trying to "pick up" the left wing by adding lift. I'm guessing they used their slide rules to determine if adding wing span caused less drag than offsetting the vertical fin.

OK. But if it's really the case the uppersurface of the left wing must be more rounded (convex). This is the only effective factor that gives more lift.

Jicéhem :-wave