Author Topic: Siemens Schuckert D.III (Eduard 1/48)  (Read 32150 times)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
Siemens Schuckert D.III (Eduard 1/48)
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
And here is it, the brand new Siemens Schuckert D.III from Eduard! Not a reboxing of the old one, but really a brand new one as I said.

Under a very nice box art, you will find two sprues of plastic parts. There are nicely moulded, very fine and the ribs effect on the wings is simply stunning. You have also a little photoetch sheet and a masks sheet. Decals are gorgeous, with a faded effect on the lozenges that I like very much!

Instruction manual is nicely done too, each phase being well explained. there is 5 decorations proposed. I've downloaded the one of the "plywood fuselage" on Eduard'site.

To complete that nice kit I will use the following brassin sets: machineguns (the box contains brassin MG but also photoetched ones) and engine. A set of "fabric" seatbelts is also available separately, but I will not use it, I prefer PE seatbelts...

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Siemens Schuckert D.III (Eduard 1/48)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
This is great set and I am sure it will be perfect build!!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »
This looks so very good!

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
I have begun to remove the parts from sprue. I'm working following the instructions phases. The kits seems to be very well conceived.
I always remove all the parts from sprue before painting. Just because I prefer to have some difficulties to master the painting of tiny elements than to paint on the sprue and after removing the parts to have to do corrections... Not so evident when you use washes and pastels...

Eduard provides two seats: first one is all plastic injected; second one is partially completed with a photoetched part; a prepainted one! I like the idea Eduard had to make the seat himself in plastic and the back of the seat in photoetch. The plastic part helps grandly for the glueing of the photoetch one. Well done!

So I will of course use the "improved" seat... The back of the seat was thus prepainted. During the manipulations some color was removed (see the arrow on the third photo). It's not a problem because I have the intention to repaint all the seat in wood color using oil paints; so the back would have been repainted anyway...

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
The second look far better!

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »
nice start, the plastic-photo etched seat looks great !

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
I have finished to remove all the parts from sprue.

In the meanwhile, brassin sets for engine and guns were washed.

The removing of the resin parts of the engine from the carrots asks for patience and attention. Take your time and there will be no problem.
The first 4 photos depicts the brassin engine in comparrison with the plastic parts included in the kit. Brassin is from far better, see the cylinders!

The brassin machineguns are also better than the ones of the kit, as you can see the next 3 photos.
One thing that is lacking in the kits of WWI aircrafts using PE for machineguns is a gabarit where you can roll the part... That's the best way to have well rolled elements. So I decided to create my own gabarit using one of the "full plastic" machinegun of the kit...

Next photo gives you an ideau of where I am in the building stage: not so far from start, but good work anyway.

...And, finally, I have a request: I'm still hesitating for the decoration between the "D" on the right part of the last photo, with blue fuselage, and the "E" on the left with wooden fuselage. I ask for your opinion to help me for my choice. Of course, if "E" is finally choosen, I will work with different bases for the different panels and oil paint...

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
Parts are good in both versions but no doubt that Brassin rule! About the options- if the E present sample with wooden fuselage, I think this will be perfect for you. You are mastered work on natural surfaces, no matter skin or wood, so I think this will be perfect demonstration for you. Also I think that you have no much kits finished in natural wood so this can be nice fresh air in glass case ;)

It is on you off course :)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
Thank you for your opinion my friend.

Wood, would be great indeed ;)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
I agree the wood fuselage machine is an excellent choice, but the blue is also distinctive. Hard to decide (not so much for me since I'm not the builder!) but I think "E" would be great to see.

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
OK friends, let's go for wood then ;)

Thank you!

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
Now all the parts are sorted on a different way: by paint needed!

I've used masking tape to indicate the numbers of the parts and the paint needed.

I've also glued two of the elements of the engine. Be careful manipulating the brassin, I've broken a piston (Found later and glued in place) and the axe... Goog cyano have corrected the problem.

I've also rolled the manchons of the MG...

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Tiny resin parts are not always easy to remove from mold base :(

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
Tiny resin parts are not always easy to remove from mold base :(

Yes,I fully agree...

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
great progress mate