Author Topic: Seafire L.IIIc 1:48  (Read 11830 times)

Offline ta152c

• Beginner
  • My threads are doing iron man numbers
    • View Profile
Seafire L.IIIc 1:48
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »

Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Vb fuselage and Airfix 1:48 Seafire 17 folded wings, which should make a pretty accurate Seafire L.IIIc, as used in the Pacific. Prop is from the Seafire III, but the wings are really thick, although there are two sets spare. It also has the correct 6-stack exhausts (Merlin 55) and the arrestor hook.

The fuselage needs a few added bits, a strengthened radio hatch, stiffener plates on each side, and catapult plates as well. It will also need rescribing to match the wings.

The wing to fuselage gap will need some attention, but the cockpit bulkheads may help. If not, two sprue spreader bars will help, plus plastic card and some filler.

I also have the option of a slipper tank or centre-line 500lb bomb, from the ICM Spitfire VII 1:48 kit, plus wing racks for bombs, although I'm not sure if they were fitted.

It's only taped together, but interesting that with 30 years difference, the fit is pretty good, which says a lot about the quality of the original kit? I know that there are better models out there, but who's to say it can't hold it's own in 2011? The Seafire 17 is an astounding kit, recent Airfix stuff has certainly rivalled other manufacturers.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:11:25 PM by No.1 »

Offline ta152c

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Re: Seafire L.IIIc 1:48
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »

3/4 view :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:13:05 PM by No.1 »

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
This is excellent subject and bring me back into the late '80 when I was converting one Heller 1/72 kit into the Seafire III. I open cockpit, add details, retract wing and start work on engine. Kit was later given as gift to my friend. Your build is so promising, only if you can load images here, it is slow open :(

P.S. I modified your post and attach images, hope you would not mind ;)

Offline ta152c

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Well, it's my first post, so any image work needing done is my fault, sorry. One of my favourite aircraft :)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
No problem mate, just keep on running, we are here to help and enjoy in our work :)

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
Ohohoo.. :-tri Finally! :-jump
Very nice job David! :-clap When you go forward? :-think

Offline ta152c

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Not sure, it's only taped together just to give a general idea where any fit problems may arise. I think it's nice to see a Seafire with the wings folded, although it does spoil the general lines. It will also take up less room. The spare parts from the ICM kit are a bonus, if I can find out about underwing weapons especially. The ICM kit has underwing single 60lb rocket rails, which would be different. Some used an underfuselage P-40 drop tank as well.

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Interresting model...