Author Topic: Northrup A-17 Nomad  (Read 10640 times)

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Northrup A-17 Nomad
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
Okay, here is another request, as I am thinking about different projects, the Northrup Nomad comes up. I was wondering if anyone had and info on the cockpit, general airframe details, and what type of structure (in any) was vivible behind the perferoated flaps. Any help would be greatly appericiated.
Ernie

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Northrup A-17 Nomad
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »
I think something can be found, just wait a little :)

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 07:19:20 AM »
Check out download section and let me know when you get file :))

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
OH WOW!! What an AWESOME set of pics No.1!!! :-eek :-ok Thank you, thank you!, guess what just moved up the list!!!!
Ernie

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
Glad you like it mate :) What kit you have and plan to build? By the way- visit topic in Aviation Art board, there is direct link to web site in Netherlands where you can find much more info for their service. I know I have at least one image in my collection but need to find it and then to scan it.

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
Hi No.1, I have the very old Classic Castings 1/48 scale kit. It is resin, but has the flaps in photo etch that were custom made by Model Technologies. It is a very nice kit, and I got it for an awesome price, $20.00 because it is missing the stick and machine gun! those will be easy enough to replace. Markings and such are not determined yet as I first wanted to see if I could get enough info to detail the cockpit and flaps (the kit does have a reasonably detailed cockpit) but as always, it could be spruced up some! Now, when I get a moment I will pratice riveting on resin and see how that goes :-help
Ernie

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
It have round cap rivets and this is another method of riveting. Kit sound interesting and from drawings you could be able to set up form precisely. there is preserved samples so you can see type of plating, facing or overlapping... a lot of work I guess.

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
Nice set of images Srecko... :-flo
Ernie, you have plans to build a loooot of interesting planes... Hardly wait next few month to see what is next! ;) :-flo

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Yeah! Me too!! As I said, I am just colloecting references etc. to see if there is enough to consider several of these projects right now. Plus, I really like resin kits and like to savor them when I build them as because of what they normally cost I don't get alot of them.
Ernie

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 04:02:09 PM »
 :-ok

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Ernie, that will be a really nice project! I'm working on a distant brother to your Northrop right now.

I've seen one of the A-17s built (the finish was not the best, but it was the first short-run model for the builder)  and it looked like there is a lot of potential in the kit. As I recall the man who was Classic Castings had to close up shop after the A-17 run because of an injury.

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
hi Scott, I am not sure why they closed shop, but the guy behind the kits I beleive was Ferris Brown, and the kit does have alot of potential, the fuselage has some decent detail molded into the cockpit area, the parts breakdown is pretty simple, though it looks like it will go together well with just a bit of tweaking, and the fret of photo-etch is a nice touch, especially the perferorated flaps, those these were done by Model Technologies and as such are steel and not brass. The down side is that is a bit harder material, but as they have no bends that is not a big deal, and the big plus is that they are good size pieces of etch, so should be less prone to to being tewaked out of shape being made of this material.
Ernie