Author Topic: My Miscellaneous Builds  (Read 13362 times)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
My Miscellaneous Builds
« on: April 26, 2023, 12:20:30 PM »
I have not been a contributor here for quite a long time, having only watched others post photos and progress of their projects while I watched. I have been building, but simply never got out the camera to show what I was doing. Laziness is the reason, I reckon....... At any rate, I didn't quit modeling entirely so I've decided to post several of my recent builds on this one thread if it is OK with y'all.

First off is the old AMT XB-35 Flying Wing. This Northrop design has always been a great favorite of mine and the kit has been on my shelf since it was released in the mid nineties. This was relaxing to assemble as it is really rather simple, just some very large sections! I did open the engine air intakes in the leading edge and added the wing structural beams that are visible in the inlets. Also I scratchbuilt the uncovered propeller hubs and gearboxes and used the kit blades.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:22:35 PM by Second Air Force »

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: My Miscellaneous Builds
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 04:39:30 PM »
It is pleasant to see you back and you did it in great way!! Just tell me please, is this one in 1/72 scale?

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 05:18:45 PM »
Yes, No.1 1/72 scale. I had to rearrange my shelf for it to fit, thankfully it isn't very long!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 10:03:20 PM »
Back to my usual scale, 1/48. I've always been fascinated with the Seversky P-35 family and the Reggiane fighters that were so closely similar. Here are two Sword kits that I've had for some time. The decals came from some of my old sheets, all of this adding to my collection of Reggiane machines. All I need now is the Re.2002 and Hungarian Heja versions to complete the set.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:06:14 PM by Second Air Force »

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 12:06:02 PM »
Great mate !

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »
Thank you!

Here are a couple of pictures of the NMF practice airplane I built before painting the big XB-35. I merely converted an Accurate Miniatures 1/48 kit into a very early Mustang. As I described in the natural metal thread this is one of the two XP-51s assigned to the USAAF. It was originally one of the first ten Mustangs for the RAF but given over to the U.S. for trials. Primarily I built this to test the Vallejo natural metal paints.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 02:10:42 PM by Second Air Force »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 02:16:08 PM »
 :-clap :-clap :-clap

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 02:11:18 PM »
These next two builds I did at the same time. First is another one of the old Otaki Corsairs that I am very fond of building. They have shortcomings (the engine is especially bad and cockpit detail is poor) but they look good when built. The birdcage kit is the Tamiya offering and it is fantastic! I've not built one of the Tamiya ones until now and I must say it almost fell together.

I added a resin R-2800 to the Otaki and detailed the cockpit, then painted it in RNZAF scheme. The decals I used are off of the Otaki kit sheet and are at least 40 years old. Some clearcoat over them and a long soaking and they worked like they did when I was a young man! The Tamiya is finished in the markings of Ken Walsh, the first Corsair ace while serving on Guadalcanal.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 02:25:50 PM by Second Air Force »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »
What a pleasant builds!! You did great with worn out look, lovely effect!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 02:30:10 AM »
Thanks!

I'm in the process of getting some decals for another project, the B-36 in 1/72. I've had one of these since the 1990s with the wrapping on it and opened it for the first time last week. Seems that Monogram/Revell forgot to put the decal sheet and instructions in the box!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »
Even in this scale it is big one. Is any available in 1/48 scale?

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 02:39:50 AM »
In the early 1980s I was going to scratchbuild a 1/48 B-36. We measured the real B-36J at the Strategic Air Command Museum and were able to spend most of a day inside the airplane taking photos and adventuring. We even used the tunnel between front and rear fuselage compartments. Of course, like so many ideas, I never got the project going.

A company called HPH did a limited number of kits a few years ago--they look good but were very expensive.

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 03:23:07 AM »
Speaking of B-36s, here is an ancient project of mine. I built this 1/72 GRB-36D/RF-84K FICON team in the 1980s and it hung in our living room for several years. When we moved away from that house I broke it down into smaller sections and it's moved around with us until last week. I reassembled everything and hung it in the only spot I have room, in my shop right above my airbrush station.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 03:25:33 AM by Second Air Force »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 05:49:42 AM »
Thank for this nice info :)

Offline draken35

• View Profile