Author Topic: Mirage V - PJ 1/72  (Read 58159 times)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
Mirage V - PJ 1/72
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
So, I have received yesterday the two Mirages V kits I've ordered at PJ Productions. A Mirage V was still existing in their catalog but in resin with some metal parts: wheels, nose antenna... and a little bit of photoetch.
This brand new kit is in injected plastic. More easy to build; more cheaper; it contains meanwhile some resin parts and photoetch too. Resin parts are the elements that differenciate Mirage V from Mirage III.
I have seen comments saying that the engraving is a little bit too deep, but personnally I'm not bothered with that (it's not at a Matchbox level!) and the use of black paint will help to fill the gap, and to pre-umber...
My first impressions are good. I really hope for an easy build.

Technically speaking, that injected Mirage V is the result of a co-operation between PJ Productions and High Planes Models from Australia. Actually there are two Mirages released under that cooperation (Mirage V but also Mirage III at 1/72 scale); PJ and High Planes selling the kits under their respective labels in their "zone of influence".

After having had a little break in our hobby (due to different reasons) I wish to resume building kits I really want to build; I will begin with that Mirage. Of course the kits I have to review will be also built in the same time - but this build is my preferred to do, I must say...

My first operation today is to give a bath to all the plastic parts, to remove the products used for moulding.

I own also in my documentation an old "Lock-on" book from Verlinden about the Mirage V, that was written by Walter Pieters... Very useful!

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Mirage V - PJ 1/72
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
This look so good, I am really surprised with offer and look of the parts. Hope you will get time to enjoy in this kit :-ok

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »
I agree,this look so good! :-ok
Can't wait to start build! :-jump

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
Looks like a very nice kit! :-ok Is the molding done by High Planes? If so it is very impressive as I have a couple of High Planes kits from several years back and must say that tis is a vast improvement.
Ernie

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Looks like a very nice kit! :-ok Is the molding done by High Planes? If so it is very impressive as I have a couple of High Planes kits from several years back and must say that tis is a vast improvement.
Ernie

Ernie,

The sprues were produced in China or in Eastern Europe, for High Planes and PJ. Big improvement indeed...

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
Ernie

Ernie,

The sprues were produced in China or in Eastern Europe, for High Planes and PJ. Big improvement indeed...

Okay, that explains the difference in the sprues. Very nice moldings, even though the High Planes kits were not too bad for low pressure injection molded kits, and I do enjoy them.
Ernie

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »
This looks like it will be a great build!

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
Thank you Scott!

First stages of building: the wings; fuselage and a view of both (not glued together yet)

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
Nice mate!! :-ok
Kit look muuuuuch better then my Airfix Mirage III. ;)

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »
I agree with Sall, definitely look better design ;)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
Yes friends, design seems to be very good. Of course, some putty will be needed... But all seems OK for an easy build.

As Y also own the resin kit ofthe Mirage V from PJ, I will make a comparrison for the two kits. The resin kit will appear as soon as needed ;)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
I have applied Vallejo putty. Excellent result for the fuselage; but for the wings I will have to redo the job with Tamiya putty: there is no panel line where putty is applied; so Vallejo is not the good item there...

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
For some things need filler which bite hard :))

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »
Exactly my friend! ;)

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Please,when you fill this panel line,take pic of them. :-flo I just want to see how it look when master fill/sand it. ;)