Author Topic: Late war Bf109  (Read 69953 times)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Late war Bf109
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
This is the well known image of the Bf109K-4 from the JG27 captured by the end of war in Czechoslovakia. Image is not very sharp, the copy I have, but there are definitely much of the details visible for the detail analyze.

It is very interesting to mention how many variation this plane have in various publication as well in the model releases, scale kits or decals. This variation range from the plane shown in the topside colors of RLM81 and RLM82 with the fuselage sides, bottom as well tail and wings bottom in the grey green color. Fuselage number with bars were often present in blue color. But also the same plane could be seen in various decals manufacturers give its own description of this plane and there is variation in the number and bar color, red in some cases, as well camouflage colors range with RLM75 and green on topside with some variants where is fuselage and bottom color grey green or standard RLM76. Confusion in the research and modelers world still live on.

Lets try to describe what is seen on the image above. Airplane on the image is the Messerschmitt Bf109K-4 manufactured or maybe better to say assembled, in Messerschmitt-Regensburg factory and belong to the aircraft series with number range 332XXX. Feature of this series that they have RLM75 and RLM 83 colors on topside with most of the side and bottom surfaces in the RLM 76 color. One section of the wing bottom remained in the natural metal.

Image above show some of the very interesting details which is very interesting. First at all take attention on the wings which is mostly camouflaged except of the control tabs and outer flaps. They are obvious in the much pale and uniform color but it is doubtful to precise determine what color that could be. So there could be camouflage light blue but also protective grey green. As well the wings are partially camouflaged, I decide to use grey green protective color but again to say, this can not be proof. Also note that there is also visible part of the flaps from the other wing and it is also in very pale color.

Another very interesting detail is the fuselage cross and it is not white at all but in the bottom color, RLM 76. This is more then obvious on the image where could be noted grey value of the cross color and grey value of the underside color and they are the same. If you compare it with white elements of the insignia in the close, you have clear proof that this cross color is not white at all. So situation is crystal clear there. Also cross lack of the bottom shapes and the shape consist of the green camouflage color only in the inner space of the cross. All presentation of this plane, no matter modeling or illustrations, presents it as white cross.

Vertical rudder is a little bit different then the rest of the bottom light color and maybe it is made in the grey green color. But this is very weak possibility and not possible to proof as well this section are close to the ground where is influence of the dust and dirt moderate so this difference could be also result in the different level of dirt so it is hard to claim proof of the another color then the standard RLM76. There could be noted difference in the covering with camouflage spots of the rudder and stabilizer so maybe the same rudder was replaced and new color could look different then the same one apply some before. On image is visible that fabric covering is missing as result of the souvenir collector of the time.

One more detail of interest is the canopy frame which is in very dark color and possible that the same color is the RLM 66 which is much used in the basic covering of this assembly section. And finally to note small input image in which show that spinner is whole in the black green color so no white spiral as noted many times before.

Reference publication [Aero Journal]

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
Re: Late war Bf109
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
Hi mate,  :-salut

A very good study, indeed !
I agree with you, this plane is strange but a reason of those colors could have been an important weathering.
Do we know when this photo was taken ?
In spite of possible weathering (lightening the colors) we can see that there was no spiral on the spinner and that the fuselage cross is not white. That's sure !
Do we know also where JG 27 was fighting at the end of the war ?
If it was on the eastern front, the numeral was not red, a color forbidden on that front. In this case red was replaced by black.
The numeral should be blue...

Cheers,

Jicehem :-wave :-wave

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:16:17 PM »
My opinion is that this plane is left abandoned for a long time and in the moment when image was taken this plane was stand exposed to sun and weather to long time. Fade and wash out of the colors are obvious but this will not be my goal and I will make it in more clean state, as in the moment of combat service.

Definitely- not easy subject!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
As you could note from the text above, this plane was very interesting subject for many manufacturers from the modeling industry and one well known manufacturer from that time who have made this kit was Heller from France. As well their kit of Messerschmitt Bf109K in 1/72 was released with few variations, including the Airfix series, kit which is attempt to present plane from the first image above is Heller Ref. 229. Kit does not include swastika but do include fuselage crosses with bright green inner field and white cross outer field. Number seven is in red...

First image in this post present this kit as I started build long time ago, I think that was in 2001 or 2002. In that time I spray all of the kit bottom and side in the color which close match British Sky color and the top is in the colors which look like RLM81 and RLM82. In meantime many thing was changes including some very important such as description of the RLM82 and 83 colors. In the moment I start build it is still referred that RLM82 is dark color while the RLM83 is medium color. But later is published that in reality that was vice versa.

Image of this kit was taken few months ago and kit in the center bottom still have old version of colors and camouflage. By the way, you see two more kits there, one is Revell Bf109G-10 and the another Heller Bf109K and hey will be also subject of modeling later in this topic. I have removed most of the color from the K-4 with very fine sanding paper, 2500 grit. maybe you ask why I simply did not drop this kit and by some better model, like Hobby Boss. Simply reason- as well I am in Serbia this kit is not easy to get and to be honest, Heller kit is in basic layout good kit but need some work on panels. Work on panels is not problem at all as well there is much more variation in panels then the available kit are present on market so if you want to make some version, you have no other option but to convert available kit. Reference book which is link at bottom clearly analyze and show in drawings and images every version and variation of the Bf109G and K.

Following two images in this post show the steps in the painting of this kit. I have spray wide area of the kit and topside of control tabs, in pale grey green color and after drying I have mask protected areas where have to be used next color.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8651.jpg
Late war Bf109
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8649.jpg
Late war Bf109
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF7988.jpg
Late war Bf109

Reference publication Aero Journal

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »
Hi mate,  :-salut

You're right. Heller kit is basically a good kit. In any case it's better than the revell G-10.
Remember, the following link shows Heller kit :

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/forum/index.php?topic=1028.0

Personnally, I've combined parts of Heller and Revell... Particularly for the airscrew-spinner assembly ; on the Heller kit the axle is on the wrong side !
I've used the blades of the Heller airscrew mounted on the boss of Revell's (part # A 16). The back plate is Heller's (part # 30) adjusted to fit the Revell's spinner which has a slight better shape than Heller's. The propeller blades of Heller are glued in place of those of Revell.

There is also an improvement of the Heller wings to be done : tha angle of the leading edge is not exactly good : it must be 3° 58'. The taper of the wing is good and it's the reason why it's better to keep Heller's wings. The Revell's have so important shortcomings that it's easier to improve Heller's ones. To do this rectification, a hole is made (2 mm diameter) just above and between the representation of the cases ejection openings. From this hole the part is cleaved and the necessary amount of plastic is to be cut off in the shape of a long triangle.
After that the edges of the gap are to be joined to obtain the good angle of the leading edge.

Cheers,

Jicehem  :-wave
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:09:21 AM by Jicehem »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »
Thank you for this valuable input, Revell kit look so fine and smooth and I did not know that it have that problems. Fact is that it have to be converted but I did not mentioned how deep have to be do that. All right- this is very good information and advice for all those who are plane to build this kit.

Followings steps in this kit is the protecting of the areas where grey green have to be keep away for painting and spray of the bottom colors. This include natural metal areas at the wing bottom as well light blue after that.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8652.jpg
Late war Bf109
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8666.jpg
Late war Bf109

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:28:41 PM by No.1 »

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:28:29 PM »
Hi mate,  :-salut

How I improved the Heller kit :

1) The spinner :

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/jicehem/Bf109K-4_Heller72_casserole_.jpg
Late war Bf109

2) The wings :

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/jicehem/Bf109K-4_Heller72_ailes-1_.png
Late war Bf109

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/jicehem/Bf109K-4_Heller72_ailes-2_.jpg
Late war Bf109

Cheers,
Jicehem

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:17 PM »
No doubt that you read my mind.... I just was thinking to suggest you to make some sketch if possible as guide for the modelers how to improve their kits  :-clap

This is perfect, thank you  :-flo  :-ok

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
You're welcome, mate !  :)

In general I note what I do on my kits when building them. I do so for years and my "modeling book" contains 392 pages... and is not finished...
So, I had only to scan the sketches... But only tonight because I was not at home yesterday and this morning.

Cheers,
Jicehem

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
Book about modeling with 300+ pages!!! This is something most interesting I hear and hope you will inform us more. And better to say maybe we could arrange something for web if you agree.

Here you are the result of the topside painting, plane now have camouflage over the top wings. To regret I have miss correct shape over the starboard wing and I will rework this in one of next step. In this moment I hunt for the swastika 1/72 decals as well I miss this lot for the final finish of the kit.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8668.jpg
Late war Bf109
  http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8667.jpg
Late war Bf109

Maybe this will be a detail of interest for the many of modelers and this is the method how I dry smaller kits like this one. Simply I put it on the topside of my Apple monitor. It have perforated top surface for the air ventilating. Very good thing is that air blow upward so it blow away all dust. Also air so warmed, but it can not damage the plastic. So it dry properly and no dust. Problem is that all modern monitors are TFT so in some future I will not have that good dry place but based on this experience I will make dry chamber for that purpose.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/recenzije/Late%20Bf109/DSCF8670.jpg
Late war Bf109

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:44:01 PM by No.1 »

samuraj77

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Excellent work mate...  :-tri

Jichem great sketches...
Your "modeling book" must be real treasure  :-love

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
Hi,   :-salut

The method of drying your small models is a fantastic idea !
With my PC, it's impossible !

Cheers,

Jicehem    :)

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
Book about modeling with 300+ pages!!! This is something most interesting I hear and hope you will inform us more. And better to say maybe we could arrange something for web if you agree.

I don't know if it should be interesting...
I'll try to find some attractive subject.

Cheers,

Jicehem  :-wave

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 09:46:24 AM »
Jicehem- for publish on Internet there is no problem to make e-book in full color and 400 pages ;)

samuraj77

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
Sure it is interesting at least to me it is...