Let Let Let - Warplanes > Aircraft Modeling

HOW TO: Natural Metal Finishes

<< < (2/23) > >>

Second Air Force:
Ok,

Here's how I apply Bare Metal foil. Sorry about the photo quality, and the foil I have is probably ten years old, so this is a poor representation of the process. As the foil ages on the backing paper it seems to become more fragile and tears easily when removing it. New sheets fresh from the hobby shop should give good results. I use "Chrome", not "Ultra Bright Chrome" because it is more representative of shiny alclad and conforms better. "Matte Aluminum" is good for alternating panel shades on relatively flat surfaces. I use Alclad or Testors Metalizer for various areas depending on shading, shape, etc.

First, and most important, is a perfect, glass smooth surface. Any seams, scratches, etc will really show up when the foil is smoothed out.

Next, use a metal straight edge and a BRAND NEW X-acto blade to cut a panel to roughly the size you require:

Now pick up a corner of the foil with the BRAND NEW blade and carefully peel it off the sheet:
[HOW TO: Natural Metal Finishes

Apply the foil to the area you want to cover, being very careful not to fold or kink the foil in the process:
[HOW TO: Natural Metal Finishes

Now smooth the foil carefully across the entire surface, and I use a fingernail to slowly insert the material into all panel lines:

This step is a bit more difficult on vacuform models due to the panel lines on vacuform being less distinct than on injected kits. If you're careful, you can use a flexible ruler to wrap around the fuselage in order to maintain straight panel lines. I use the fresh blade to trim down the panel lines on the kit and remove the material not needed:

Simply repeat this process to add panels across the airplane, being careful to smooth the foil with a soft cloth from time to time. In this example I used Chrome and Matte Aluminum to get the varying panel coloration:

If you aren't satisfied with a particular area, you can carefully remove the foil with a fingernail or soft tool. Clean off all adhesive that may remain before putting on the next sheet:

There you have it, one guy's way to do NMF aircraft. Practice makes perfect as in any hobby, but I've had good luck with this system. Three things to remember: Absolutely smooth surface; BRAND NEW X-acto blades; and fresh Bare Metal foil.

Here is a Fokker 100 done with the BareMetal method:

Scott

samuraj77:
Excellent  :-clap :-clap :-clap
And the Fokker-100  :-love

No.1:
Very informative  :-clap And this worth to highlight:

Three things to remember: Absolutely smooth surface; BRAND NEW X-acto blades; and fresh Bare Metal foil

Second Air Force:

--- Quote from: samuraj77 on March 16, 2010, 09:14:38 PM ---
And the Fokker-100  :-love

--- End quote ---

I used to work on the full-sized version of that little fellow, in fact, on that actual tail number several times.

S

Letipapa:
Ha! Great :-clap :-clap :-clap
I do not now do we have those metal foils her in Belgrade in the modeling shops, I should ask for that.
But until than, I am interested how to get slight differences just using the paint. I know that I can add some small amount of black or maybe white to make it darker or lighter, but does it work that way? :-think

May be I should experiment with few different Al colors? :-think

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version