Author Topic: Fokker D.VII Group build  (Read 131192 times)

samuraj77

Re: Fokker D.VII Group build
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
Black on wings is painted as primer, wings are now coated with Klear in order to prepare them for Lozenge application...
I have never tried to apply Klear directly on plastic, that's the reason why I painted Black.

Profa

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
I applied gloss coat directly onto the plastic here: http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/forum/makete-aviona-aircraft-modeling/albatros-dr-i-elf-model-172/msg11471/#msg11471, although it was Gunze Mr. Super Clear, and not the Klear you're using :-think yep, I know this is totally different formulation...

samuraj77

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

samuraj77

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Excellent photos can be found on this page...
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/BromeCountyMuseum/index.htm

sample

Profa

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »
OK, here we go... My first entry is Roden model of Hauptmann Rudolf Berthold's early Fokker-built D.VII in 1/72 scale.
This kit generally received negative critics in reviews, all of them concerning bad fit of parts, lots of filling required etc... At first I was a little bit scared :-dal, but we'll see...
Opening the box I was amazed by level of surface detail moulded in this scale, as well as good rendition of tiny parts.
On the other hand, what I find negative is looots of flash on parts and also some of them look too fragile to handle...
Also there are some mould errors, like visible bulge on the lower wing. At least there are no pin marks on visible surface...
Instructions are of typical Roden style, clear and easy to follow, the only thing missing is paint instruction for most of smaller parts and interior.
By far the worst part of the kit are decals - all of them seem fragile and I think they'd go apart as soon as they feel the water nearby. Lozenge are story for itself - colours are absolutely missed, badly printed, out of register... You name it, they have it... :-wall
The model I'm going to build is shown on the back of the box, in colour.

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
A lot of work mate there...

Profa

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
My other entry is of the same producer and scale, this time Leutnant Karl Degelow's early Albatros-built plane.
What goes for Berthold's goes also for this one, both good and the bad :-roll
The only better (but not much better) issue are decals - this time overall quality of print and carrying film are much better. Alas, colours are still far out of range :-evil Interestingly enough, on the box they're almost spot-on :-think

samuraj77

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41:31 AM »

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »
What will you do for the decals, Profa? Use those silly things, use decals from decal makers, use paint, or...?

If that can help you, it was possible on the Drome to download good decals that you just have to print yourself. If you haven't it, send me a PM with your mail adress and I will send those losenges to you.

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »
Nice Profa! :-ok

Profa

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
Huh, you Samuraj have put me through hard time yesterday evening :-dal it was not enough I've spent greater part of the afternoon looking for appropriate blue shade for Bertholds machine, I had to deal with these cowling differences as well...
I :-paper through all my references, checked what Dan-San, van Wyngarden and Lawson said on this and other features of Degelows plane, and  compiled nice list that I'm going to post later, when I finish my everydays' work...
Also some modelling had been done, but more on that also later.
@Daniel: more I'm looking the model, more I tend to use Techmods decals. To top the things, it seems it had 5-, and not 4-colour lozenge Roden has provided :-wall Please send me just the link from the drome and I'll download it... :-flo

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »

Profa

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
Don't see images  :-wall :-wall - as Dan San had put it in his post, best samples are http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/475709-post719.html, but I can't see images :-kr :-kr :-kr

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
As I've downloaded all those lozenges, I can anyway send the stuff to you... PM me...

Profa

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
Yesterday after Samuraj's question I've searched through all the references I could find, and spent time until vee-hours to find the most probable  answer/solution...
So, off to Fokker D.VII differences we go...

To study this, I think Windsock datafile specials Fokker D.VII Anthology are sine qua non - there you could find everything, or almost everything :-think one of the issues missing is just the photo of Degelows plane taken from appropriate angle and no people surrounding it :-/
Missing that, I stuck to what Dan-San and Stephen Lawson said, as well as data available. As one of them stated, all-in-all there were 26 different versions of Fokker D.VII from all 3 producers (MAG not accounted in).
The particular machine was probably from 525/18 - 874/18 batch, early Albatros production. Therefore the early style of cowling louvres should be applied.
In general, Albatros started their licence production of Fokkers by simply copying original aircraft received from mother factory - no plans delivered whatsoever... Therefore I tend to think that also louvres were copied, and modified only in later stage of production...
Anthology Vol.3 deals with Albatros-produced machines, and there some interesting pictures might be seen.
On page 59 is also shown variety of cowling details of Alb. machines, with later modifications and all...

Now, to two published profiles:
first one is Pearsons, and is based on Cross & Cockade 22/1: http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/fokker_d7/fokker-dvii-degelow.jpg - this version could also be seen in Osprey book Aircraft of the Aces n°63 (page 50), rendered by Dempsey, and at the back cover of Grub Street edition of Black Fokker Leader.
Another version, which shows louvres as Roden provided them, is seen in mentioned Windsock Fokker Anthology Vol.2, on the page 44 - this one is drawn by Ray Rimell.
Interesting fact is that on the same page is another profile of Jasta 40 machine, Auers one, with louvres as Eduard gave it.

Huh... this profile correspondss to another part of the story - somewhere after mid-August Jasta 40 changed markings so that horisontal tail surfaces weren't clearly white anymore, but with narrow dark blue stripes. Since the picture of Degelow in front of his machine is taken 08.11.1918, after he received Hoenzolern Orden, his markings should be the same :-roll Auers machine is pretty well documented, since it was captured by the British on 28.10.
That way maybe at the same time Degelow also had another, newer machine. He was Jastafuhrer, and naturally should have had it... BTW, plane on mentioned picture has OAW-built wings... aaagh!!!

To conclude: be as it is, I'm going to build it as an early sample, with all-white tail and no modification to louvres, to supposedly picture it as it was before mid-August...

Suggestion for further reading (apart from mentioned books):
http://theaerodrome.com/forum/models/3909-degelow-d-vii.html
http://theaerodrome.com/forum/models/4122-carl-degelows-fokker-d-vii-white-stag.html
Here are some nice advices to details in modelling D.VII, although for 1/48 Roden model: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/3541-rodens-1-48-fokker-d-vii-build.html.