Author Topic: Fokker D.VII Group build  (Read 131282 times)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
Re: Fokker D.VII Group build
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »
Congratulations for your researches, Profa...
Problem with WWI aircrafts is that there are few certitudes and numerous questions...

Profa

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Another problem I faced was real colour of lozenge-printed textile and my resources of available decals for it :-think
On attached pictures you can see Rodens', Techmods' and PrintScale's decals, and at the right end, as a reference, is attached texture made by Doug Bauman from www.theaerodrome.com, after extensive researches...
It is obvious that:
- 4 colour top: neither comes close to the original :-wall
- 4-colour bottom: only sample marked as "Roden 1" comes any near, although colours are much more saturated :-/
- 5 colour top and bottom: unfortunatelly no Bauman's sample for bottom - here in top Techmod's sample surpases Roden's (all in green/brown hue???) and closes to Bauman's sample, although colours are again much more saturated...

That "Roden 2" 4-col sample was, by the way, given for Degelow's machine which should be in 5-col cammo :-dal
Since both machines have 5-col lozenge, I tend to use Techmods' decals for Degelow's and Roden's for Berthold's plane... Roden's top 5-col sample could as well find its way to the trash, I don't mind...

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
I must commend you on the hard work and research y'all put into finding the proper patterns and colors of these camouflage schemes. A friend of mine asked me once why I was custom mixing some paint for a stock car model I was building for a museum display. I told him that modelers should try to capture the true color for historical accuracy. It's great to see you doing that here on these important machines!

This thread is a great resource for those of us who haven't delved into the WWI flying machines. :-flo

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
Discussions about lozenges is a never ending story... My comment is just: take the ones you prefer, but beware that Techmod are very fragile decals - I don't like them...

Profa

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »
Lacking PE set for this airplane, or, to better put it, I have one set for 4 models, I decided to copy at least some parts of it.
Here is process of copying the seat (pics 1-3): PE set is attached with tape to aluminium cover of Nescafe can. It was outlined using sewing needle and cut with sharp #11. Best way is to cut it on a  hard pad, like glass of plexi. Further it is handled like usual PE would be.
Next thing was to set lozenge on the interior surface of the cockpit (other pics) - for that I used 4-col Roden's decal, since Albatros built Fokker fuselages were covered in this, while wings were, as mentioned before, 5-colour. Decals are fragile, out of register and generally speaking bad, but once set in place (using enormous amount of solvent solution) and overpainted, look quite OK.
To simulate back-side of the cloth, I shaded it it light gray. The same goes for the cockpit back wall, which was also used as seat support, and was also made from Nescafe alu. To apply lozenge, I've transferred it first onto masking tape, which was later fixed to the plate.

Tomorrow I'll deal with engines and other interior parts...

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
Excellent tip on how you duplicate PE...

Profa

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Next in line was assembly of engines - care should be taken when separating parts from the sprue... extreme care!! :-dal Only brend new knife would do a job without breaking fragile parts (as seen on the pic 1).
Later most of the details were painted, and now almost everything is prepared to assembly cockpits and fuselages.
One instrument panel was modified to depict Alb. built one, since it differed from original Fokkers.
For dials I have used leftovers from Eduard's Spad decals - there's plenty in reserve to build some more panels :-jump These were later coated with Klear to get glassy look.
I've simulated wood using Vallejo 70955 Flat Flesh as a base and 70939 Smoke as overcoat - this combination gives nice impression of used surface.
For braces I used thin steel wire, and metal parts of interior were painted Hu86 Light Olive for Fokker built and Hu92 Grey-green for Albatros built aircraft...
Now I have to weather and enhance details on interiors and engines using oil wash, and off to assembly we go...

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »
Nice work, Profa, and well detailed!

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »
Looks very nice mate! ;)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
So tiny!!!

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »
I've begun the Spandaus from Karaya...

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
What a details!!!

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
  • "Words will always retain their power."
    • View Profile
    • The Modeling Underdog - A haven of bad taste for the faint hearted.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »
Great work Draken35 and Profa!

Talking about Roden decals, I used the one for the instrument panel in the argentine navy Se.5a I built (just finished gluing the wheels, propeller and windshield a few moments ago :-tri)

Hope to see more of it soon. I'd like to join the group build with a MAG built D.VII. I still do not have figured out what schemes is it going to be painted in, but I really like the rumanian one, since it saves me from using the lozenge and breaks a little the usual schemes.

This is the one I got. And yes I bought the double combo, a friend of mine was to build the hungarian one, but he chickened out:

Now that I think of it, may be I'll go with the CDL hungarian scheme. It combines the best of both worlds :))

Feels so weird going back to 48th scale, after so many years builing kits in 72nd, but I think I couldn't do it with a better kit than this one. Fits the kind of planes I like to build, it's very complete and saves me the pain of rigging a biplane.

Keep up the good work!
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
Nice choice, Javier!

The Rumanian deco is simply splendid...

Profa

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:55 AM »
khm :-think... I would definitely go with hungarian lozenge/red star combination, but that's up to you ;)
The only thing important is that you have a good model to build, and that you already enjoy looking forward to building it :-ok
Please jump in, as far as I know, May is far from over...