Author Topic: Fokker D.VII Group build  (Read 131169 times)

Profa

Re: Fokker D.VII Group build
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
ribs are also present on the chord of the wings, ailerons (see my first photo here)...
Huh, few ideas for your rib problem: for the chord of the wings I'd use appropriate paint - just use middle part of the paintbrush and go lightly.
I wouldn't use rib tapes for ailerons (and I didn't), 'cause these usually weren't covered :-think Maybe Eduard was wrong on this (they tend to have that problem sometimes...)

Profa

« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
Original and corrected rear leg of the V-strut, and sets put in place.
Also the cut on the fron vertical strut could be seen

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Nice correction, Profa!

ribs are also present on the chord of the wings, ailerons (see my first photo here)...
Huh, few ideas for your rib problem: for the chord of the wings I'd use appropriate paint - just use middle part of the paintbrush and go lightly.
I wouldn't use rib tapes for ailerons (and I didn't), 'cause these usually weren't covered :-think Maybe Eduard was wrong on this (they tend to have that problem sometimes...)

Good idea forthe painting. And thanks for the precision, for the ailerons. I will try to find some photos of the Belgian airplane I wish to make, to see if there are ribs around the ailerons or not for that particular aircraft...

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
I've removed the ribs of the ailerons.

But well, I'm really bothered with those decals that are fragile (Microsculpt) and breakable (Americal): the dythirambic comments on the drome sounds me not correct at all...
I'm really envisaging to REMOVE ALL those lozenges and ribs and to make a version provided by Eduard, with Eduard decals! Not decided yet, but...

Profa

« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
Do not do that, I'd say :-think... You've put in too much of an effort, and the thing looks too cool to be stripped off :-roll
Just try to make some appropriate salmon pink, take a brush in your hand and no doubt you'll make the nice birdie ;)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
Thank you Profa for your kind words, but there is bubbles under the lozenge and the ribs; if you try to remove them, you make holes and have to repare... and that creates bubbles in other locations! It's disappointing. And I don't like to continue in a way that is not satisfying for me.
I just come back from my workbench: not decided yet but clearly, I have the envy to remove those decals. Perheaps not for an Eduard deco; but for an all khaki unarmed Belgian D.VII... I keep my decision in instances until wednesday (the weather will be more clement; actually impossible to work in the workbench...).
Oh, and to have to restart a deco is not a problem, but in such a case the good solution ;)

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
Well... Thinking and thinking again at that problem, I've decided not to wait until wednesday. The parts were dropped in methanol. I've removed decals and paint. Now I have to choose another decoration... Will take some days for that.

Profa, I really have no regret at all  ;)

Profa

« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
The point is that you're satisfied with the model, be it built from zero. That was just my opinion, but you do it as you wish, I'd live with it ;)
No, if we could help you with the idea for decoration, just say... Any other Belgian Fokkers on that BR sheet?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:58:52 PM by Profa »

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
I have not said my last word with that aircraft... I will try to make my own lozenge decals (those of Doug Baumann). Will try on inkjet decal paper; if not satisfied, next month I will buy laser decal paper...

Never surrender! ;)

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
You are crazy! :))

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
You are crazy! :))

Yes, I'm sure of that ;)

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
  • "Words will always retain their power."
    • View Profile
    • The Modeling Underdog - A haven of bad taste for the faint hearted.
« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
How about a dutch or russian machine? Do you happen to have any of those Blue Rider decal sheets? May be a lithuanian machine?
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Well, I really wish to build a Belgian one. And the second kit of the box will be German.

Profa

« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »
Pulling the strings, or how to make control surfaces "work":
The first point to attach wire (elastane, in my case ;)) was lower aileron control horn (pic 1).
Next I've drilled hole through the tail, where upper horisontal stabiliser wires should go. Then I attached elastane (string, from now on) to a fine wire with a drop of CA glue and used wire as a needle to pass string through the hole. Then CA glue to the fuselage point of entry, attach, wait a minute, CA glue to the stabiliser control horn, pull the string over it, wait a minute, cut with sharp xacto... Next string... (pics 2-7) ...as simple as that :))
Why rudder is missing? I didn't want it to stand in the way until needed or, even worse, to break it unintentionally... :-dal
Then I attached control wires for ailerons on fuselage side, and then scratchbuilt upper aileron control horns (of stretched sprue) (pics 8-9). Strangely enough, Roden made a hole in the wing, instead of raised horn :-wall...
The last of todays' work was installation of rudder, of course in offset position (pics 10-11). Now I'll wait for it to set, then rudder control strings and finally tail struts are to be mounted...
More soon... :-wave