Author Topic: Douglas Skyray- Tamiya 1/72  (Read 24395 times)

Offline modellius

• View Profile
Re: Douglas Skyray- Tamiya 1/72
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »
Nice progress !

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
:-ok

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »
Little return to this subject, small part placed at rear of cockpit and some later need to protect transparent area. Also put landing gear doors, which I did not put previously. Reason- I want to include Eduard replacement part but then realized that there is not need for that, original part is enough and good detailed, no improvement can be made with replacement part. And last there what was done is engine, sliced original engine tube, and large section replaced with etched part. Look good for now :))

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »
Looks good indeed ! Well done mate !

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 12:21:02 PM »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 04:11:56 PM »
Here is final steps of assembly, cockpit protection and cement on place. And then thin coat of black and first coat of white color. Skyray featured very simple camouflage pattern of the period, this one have White at bottom and control tabs and Light Gull Grey at the top. I use mig color A.MIG-047 acrylic.

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 09:44:46 AM »
Excellent progress!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
Here is some progress I make last few hours. Painted external fuel tanks, exhaust as well vertical tail. I need to paint vertical tail as well I am not sure how far will tail be covered by decals from kit, version I plan to complete have vertical tail in dark blue color. But when I see details today, I noted that parts was not correctly cemented and need to sand edges and repeat process again. I did not build a long period so I lost some senses, this is logical build error.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
Sample I plan to built is the one flown by Commander Gene Valencia. Photo is provided, him self stand besides machine which is subject of this build. I noted at once few omission's made by Tamiya. Inside cockpit, pilot seat have no handle, so I remove it, I guess you notice that in one of previous build step. Other thing is about camouflage, kit assembly suggest that Gull Gray goes almost strait, while here is visible it curve down. Most prominent mistake is that anti glare area in front of pilot windshield is not black, as provided by kit decal, but medium grey! This medium grey extend and it look like this is color of cockpit canopy frame and maybe even dorsal spine.

Maybe this could be good to say, as well we touch the subject of accuracy- few years ago I put on pile bulk of documents in attend to make technical drawings of Skyray. This material include engineering drawings, frame diagrams, manual extract and many so good archive photos in high resolution. And then my friend, who have access to many archives and help me with some rare documents, told me something a bit terrible to me- do not use drawings of author XXXX as base for my drawings. I was sad about that as well I always make drawings from scratch, do not copy other works but as well I work for many publishers for a many years, I know that this is normal practice to stole someone work, make some changes, and then blame person which material is stolen as bad author and glorify self as hero who make best accurate work...

But this force me to do something and waste a bit time. I prepare one drawings, one excellent engineering frame diagram with all measurements' data included, make it in scale and over it put all available drawings, including famous XXXX (will not say his name, he is from West and so loved by Serbian aviation fans...). Result- no accurate drawings at all in any aspect! Not basic shape, not dimensions...

So, faced with such facts, I am not sure how this kit can be correct in technical aspect, what drawings they use at all? But I will not bother my self with in deep analyze of this kit, for me it look like Skyray, easy to build, nice details and for me is nice relaxation build.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 03:28:16 PM »
Its turn on topside color and it goes nice and even far better then I expect! Bottom of the wing edge is grey too and I can not believe that I do that line precise free hand with Aztec airbrush and 0.4 Acryl head!! Note that in general, Skyray leading edge is polished metal but some airplanes have it in top camouflage colors. I also paint medium grey ant glare panel.

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »
Excellent work, well documented!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes