Author Topic: Convair XF-92A  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
Convair XF-92A
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:03:50 PM »
Today I found at a car-boot sale this model of the Convair XF-92A. It seems to be a display model from the fifties maybe used for aircraft recognition instruction. Scale is ca. 1:50. It is a ready-manufactured product of white plastic without any surface detail or decals. I could take it for free from a box of 'rubbish' containing various partly built aircraft models and parts. There were similar models in the box for the Douglas Skyray, the Douglas X-3 Stiletto and the Gloster Javelin but they were broken up and only the XF-92A was in one piece without any substantial damage. I can try to 'refurbish' this model by scratching surface detail and adding decals from the Collect-Aire kit but I am afraid it would only spoil further a quite rare model.
Has anyone any guess about this model? (more types? mark? etc.)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Convair XF-92A
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
Nice catch Nico- will look for more info!

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
Hi Nico,

This kit looks like an Allyn model issued in the 1950's in 1/48 scale. It has been reissued in the 1970's by Microscale the decal manufacturer.
At the time, in about 1976-1977 I bought the Skyray. There were only four parts to assemble the model : two parts for the plane itself , a clear part for the canopy and an arrester hook.
No landing gear, etc.
The decal shhet was from, naturally, Microscale for an operational plane although the kit represented the prototype...

Cheers,
Jicehem :-wave

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
My model also has no landing gear.
Even every surface detail is lacking! It is completely smooth...
I can remember the Skyray was also in the box of 'give-aways', but is was in a very poor state!
I still have not made up my mind what to do with this model.
I can leave it as it is, but I can also add surface detailing by scratching and add 'home-made' decals or decals from the left-over box.

Offline Jicehem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
Hi Nico,  :-salut

From a pure collector's point of view, the model should not be assembled...
In the state where it is, I think (it's my own opinion) that it's worth of detailing it.

Here a color picture from 1951 :
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/jicehem/ConvairXF-92A_-Copie.jpg
Convair XF-92A

And the add upon "Microscale kits " in the summer of 1976 :
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/jicehem/MicroscaleKits_Summer-1976_.jpg
Convair XF-92A

I don't know your Gloster "Javelin" comes from...

Cheers,

Jicehem  :-wave
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:06:11 PM by Jicehem »

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
I was going through the older threads and just saw this! I have the Microscale Douglas Skyshark that I built many years ago. I just recently dusted it off from its storage resting place and shook my head at what a poor job I did of building it. It, too has about five or six pieces total but the outline is very accurate. No panel lines just like your XF-92 find.

I believe I'm going to rejuvenate my model by using a Skyraider kit for landing gear and other parts. I've already attempted it once so it isn't a true collectible anymore!

Great find, Nico!
Scott

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
Now that I've unpacked my Microscale Skyshark and looked at it again I might leave it as I originally built it. Perhaps I will be able to find a Dynavector kit so that I can build another one.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_6017.jpg
Convair XF-92A

Scott
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:28:04 AM by Second Air Force »