Author Topic: Boeing Y1B-17 Project--1/48th Scale  (Read 103844 times)

Letipapa

Re: Boeing Y1B-17 Project--1/48th Scale
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
 :-eek :-tri :-clap :-clap :-clap Amazing and painstaking work - all this same small parts - one really needs to be patient. ;)
Bravo! :-obey It will look superb, I tell you! :-ok

samuraj77

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »
Fantastic work

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
Just a quick update--I get to build the nacelle interior structure for the #3 engine one more time! :-wall :-roll I managed to destroy the first attempt yesterday when I moved some stuff around in my modeling area............I wanted to curse a little bit, but it was actually kind of funny. I work in a tiny space that used to be a storage closet/attic that I insulated and finished out. Our German Shepherd has decided it is HER room and I had to move my chair to accomodate her. She just looked at me with her head turned to one side and laid down.

Oh, well, we've all had to redo things in our modeling careers, haven't we?! :)

Scott

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
It look like that this is our destiny to repeat some things again... most important is to keep calm, I know people who simply smash the kit when things goes badly ;)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
I used to know a GREAT modeler that had no patience whatsoever. He had a nearly finished kit that something went wrong on and he just swept the entire model into the garbage can. It was a wonder that he ever finished anything far enough to show us. He eventually gave up the "hobby" because it was too hard on his health and wellbeing.

Scott

Letipapa

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
Patience is the most important I would say, and in fact, the process while working, and all those spectacular details, know how ideas, visions and solutions. I enjoy most when I look photo's of modelers work. Even some "disasters" that happens are in fact very interesting; now I regret that I didn't take photo's of some that happened to me (like on last year An-2 in "Santa's livery").
And even if model is unrecoverable smashed (if that is possible at all), even than it is good to keep it, because it can be fantastic for some diorama (modeler's own or to other modeler friend).

So, I would say: do not throw any models, just classify them! :))
Long live modeling :-jump  :-wave
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:43:00 PM by Letipapa »

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
Well, after a long hibernation, I rebuilt the damage I caused in the right wheelwell last weekend. It actually wasn't too much of a bother and served to get me back into the habit of working on the model again. My next project is going to be the aft fuselage section and empennage. I'll have much more time at home on weekends now so I should make progress.

Scott

ikarus214

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
Omg! :-eek   :-obey
Superb work-superb work mate!
Great plane,great work..Whooo   :-tri

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »
Very well done!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
I know that most of the contributors on this forum are familiar with vacuum-formed modeling, but I thought I'd do a little how-to for those who haven't yet attempted a vacuform modification or kit. I apologize to everyone who's already familiar with this media, but I will share my techniques for those who aren't.

My first step is to plan where and what to cut out first. That can actually be important with some vacuform kits as damage to outlying parts can occur if you're too aggressive with the big pieces. Here's a Koster PB4Y modification kit for an example:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_5728.jpg
Boeing Y1B-17 Project--1/48th Scale

On a sheet this size I usually cut the major parts into individual segments before the close trimming begins.

Next, get out a SHARP X-Acto blade and scribe fully around the part, leaving just a little bit of the flat sheet with the part:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_5726.jpg

When you've completed scribing the outline, very carefully snap the extra plastic off and free the part from the sheet.

Here's half of the horizontal stabilizer for the YB after being snapped out of the sheet.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_5729.jpg

Now, prepare a flat, hard, stable surface--a desktop works well--and secure some rough sandpaper (I use 180 or 240 grit for this) to the tabletop. Then, carefully sand the excess material from the part you're working with by using slow, deliberate strokes, keeping steady pressure on the entire part so as not to over or under sand the seam. This is the critical step in preparing vacuform parts as it's easy to sand off too much material. I also wet-sand as it keeps the sanded material from collecting on the paper.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_5731.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/2AF/IMG_5732.jpg

I'll add to this process when I get more time to do so,
Scott

Offline draken35

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
Very useful explanations! Thanks!

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
This is excellent post mate :-clap I am familiar with that type of build and I still have few of the kits completely made in that way (most favorite is NORD Griffon) but I am sure that rest of members will appreciate this outstanding images tutorial :-ok

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
 :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
Thank you for the interest. Perhaps I'll take better and more photos and others can add their techniques if y'all would like.

Have a good weekend,
Scott

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
My advice for vacform underground: take an old bathroom mirror.
It will give you a surface that is absolutely flat!!