Author Topic: Beagle Basset  (Read 8356 times)

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Beagle Basset
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/captianplastic/boxart.jpg
Beagle Basset

Well, since fall is in the air here in New England, and the wood is all stacked, it is time to get back to building as much as possible :)) :-ok :-clap :-clap :-tri
I want to try to build a bunch of kits from different companies this winter, and so I thought I would start with this one. This, to me, is one sleek looking little plane, and also one of Airfixes' harder to find kits (which makes building it much more fun). The Begeal Basset was used a communications aircraft and ferry aircraft for V bomber crews. The kit itself was issued about 1968, and was avaliable from Airfix and MPC in the U.S. until about 1972. It was reissued one time in 1980 and that is it. Alot of kits in Airfix's catalog have been avaliable pretty regularly, but not this one.

I intend to do a ferry aircraft, though the decals in the kit I  have might not be any good, so I will most likely have to paint the lightning bolt along the fuselage side, but I'll worry about that when I get there.
Ernie

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Beagle Basset
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
:-ok

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
Ohoho, i'm back and you also! :-clap Great news!! :-jump :-clap

Go ahead mate!!! :-flo :-clap

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
This is the real stuff! Hope it will be of help.

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
This is a neat machine, Ernie! It'll look great in RAF markings.

We used to have a B.206 Series 2 civilian version that tied down on one of the local airports but I haven't seen it in a number of years.

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
Thank you guys; Nico, you are my hero :-obey Thank you for the cockpit shot, that is very helpful!
Ernie

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »
Some work has been done, pictures to follow. This is the slow but important part. The cabin windows do not fit particullary well and need to be superglued into place and then sanded to match the fuselage contour and then polished. After this step, every thing else should go rather quickly.
Ernie

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »
Please, realize that using superglue on clear plastic parts may make them untransparent. I would advise to use woodglue!

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
If fit stays poor you can always make good fitting windows yourself using transparante plastic from packing material. Many times home made windows fit much better. Also here, woodglue is better than cyanoacryl glue.

Offline Ernie

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
Hi Nico, thank you for the tip! :-ok No real worries about the superglue though as the fuselage is not together yet so the fumes are not trapped inside. The windows are quite thick so I put them in place proud of the surface of the fuselage and sand them back to match the fuselage contour and they look much better. Hopefully when I get the pictures posted it will help explain what I have done.
Ernie

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
I've gotten lucky with CA glue on clear parts a couple of times, though I was scared when I did it!

My favorite glue for windows is Testors transparency glue (which is really wood glue in a different packaging, I suspect) but it probably wouldn't have worked in your case, Ernie.

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
I also use woodglue, as Nico, and think that this is good option. ;)