Author Topic: Arado in the making  (Read 10320 times)

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
  • "Words will always retain their power."
    • View Profile
    • The Modeling Underdog - A haven of bad taste for the faint hearted.
Arado in the making
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »
 :-wch A miracle!!! :-wch

That's me actually building something, other than negative comments on my skills playing the mandolin :-wall

I don't remember if you have seen these pictures at the time, but let me bore you with my dubious modeling tastes.

RAF SE.5a, Roden 1/72, Argentine Navy, 1929

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC00960-1.jpg
Arado in the making

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC00958-1.jpg
Arado in the making

The SE is nearing completion now, all rigging was done by a friend of mine, who's more patient than me about those subtleties named rigging, detail painting, etc.

Arado Ar-65E, RS 1/72, Bulgarian Air Force, 1938

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01186.jpg
Arado in the making

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01187.jpg
Arado in the making

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01188.jpg
Arado in the making

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01190.jpg
Arado in the making

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01189.jpg
Arado in the making

It only takes a coat of varnish to get it finished. Just like the SE, it's not perfect, but at least they're getting finished. Also, let me introduce you to Kirin, the pet cat of my friend Pablo:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/javier_planells/Maquetas%20JIP/DSC01182.jpg
Arado in the making

And yes, that's a Cant Z.501 from Italeri he's seating on. He likes that boat even more than I do. The kit's box and the neck of my Fender bass give a clear idea about the size of that "little" critter...

Cheers!

Javier
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Arado in the making
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »
Nice build and.... what scale ic cat ;)

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
Thanks No.1!

My humble guess is that Kirin must be around 2/1 scale. Not very much like the Heller Bugs in 4/1 but equally disturbing!
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
BTW- are you sure that Bulgarian fighter have to be in a lighter color?

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
For as far as I recall from the 2 or 3 books I have on Bulgarian planes, the 65s were delivered in RLM02 (may be 63 but all concur on the grey being 02), they're lighter than the Stosser trainers and Heinkel 51s that came later. Those were in RLM 65 and 70 or 71. I painted it in ModelMaster's RLM 02, wich seems to be a nice, average, 02 for the scale.
Javier Planells

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »
Lovely, each one of them!

Cheers!
Javier Planells

Letipapa

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:31:12 AM »
 :-clap :-clap :-clap Great Javier :-tri
I never knew that our neighbours Bulgarians had so interesting decals. It is so egzotic, and they are so close :)
Well, You are in Argentina doing bulgarian airplanes, maybe we from Serbia should try to do some uruguaian, or chilean? What do You say? :) :-wave

Profa

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
Very nice builds, javier, :-clap and what an interesting paintwork on that Arado - definitely not usual in our modelling world nowadays, when everybody seems to build only mainstream planes... :-flo

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
:-clap :-clap :-clap Great Javier :-tri
I never knew that our neighbours Bulgarians had so interesting decals. It is so egzotic, and they are so close :)
Well, You are in Argentina doing bulgarian airplanes, maybe we from Serbia should try to do some uruguaian, or chilean? What do You say? :) :-wave

Hi Letipapa,

that would be a great idea! Actually it all comes from my love for the so called small air forces. Usually they have more interesting subjects and histories than the most famous ones. If you want to build model kits with markings from Argentina, for example, you have Aerocalcas decals. They're very good decals, usually in register and with good density. For brazilian decals, there is CFM wich a re very good. Both have very interesting subjects. I'll search for the links to their respective websites.

Glad you liked the little Arado!

Best regards!
Javier Planells

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
Very nice builds, javier, :-clap and what an interesting paintwork on that Arado - definitely not usual in our modelling world nowadays, when everybody seems to build only mainstream planes... :-flo

Thanks Profa!

I totally agree with you, but thank God for the modeling sites from Central and Eastern Europe. In those sites you get the usual share of mainstream kits, but they also build short run and locally made kits. When watching at the contests there, I always find out model kits built that please my tastes. Here in my country, that usually only happens when a few friends of mine and myself place our models in the table...

Thanks for your kind words!
Javier Planells

Letipapa

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
Thanks for information, Javier. :-flo :-salut
Now, I think I will start to study South American aviation soon. I especialy like the roots and beginings. Let it be Argentina and Urugwai for the start ( already interested in urugwaian air force a little). Looking at first I see that Argentina have a great airforce - soon I will start to learn. Cheers! :-wave