Author Topic: Airbrushing  (Read 10243 times)

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
Airbrushing
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:43:25 AM »
Right, I'm about to start on the PR XI Spitfire, I'm going to do in Far East colours and as such it requires that I have a white strip on the wing and the tail fin.

The first idea I had was to airbrush the whole aircraft white then mask out the areas I require to remain white and then airbrush with the PR Blue.

My question is, what should I use to mask out the white area with before I spray it with the blue?  :-think

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Airbrushing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »
Hi,

I think that you should change aproach. First apply coat of camouflage color. Then you add white areas. I use 3M self adhesive tape and this one is used in automotive industry. This also perfect work on models too. How to make strips? First cut from tape strips in the precise width of strip on the model. Then place it where it have to be. You get now covered area which you have to paint and idea is that this strip give you path for the next cover. And next cover is- put next to the each edge one more strip. Then remove inner strip and you will get now clear area for painting and the rest is protected.

I am not very clear due to my savage English and it is very nught now. If you like I will make tomorrow at the day light couple of shoots and demonstrate how to do this and I am sure that this will be welcome to all.

Cheers

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:26:36 AM »
Thank you.  :-ok

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:10:33 AM »
Image worth a thousand of words...

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
Yes it is, thank you  :-salut

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline divanov

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:42:10 AM »
I agree with painting order: white first, then darker colors. White color is never white enough on darker background. Or, you might need at least four or five layers of paint. This might become too thick. But, on the other side, in reality, white was applied over original painting  on true aircraft.
I use Tamiya adhesive tape for about 2 years. It's sold in various widths and is very good in filling gaps on surface of models. Leaves no glue trace on previously applied paint, no matter acrylics or enamels.

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
Thanks for the imformation  :-ok

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)