Author Topic: 1/48 HobbyBoss F8F Bearcat  (Read 7095 times)

Offline 0viking0

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Hobby portfolio
1/48 HobbyBoss F8F Bearcat
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Hello everyone.

This is my new project - HobbyBoss Bearcat.

In general, this is pretty decent kit, especially if compared with other options in Testors or Hobbycraft kits. Kit has crisp engraved panel lines and rivets here and there. Overall details are more than You will expect, although engine is little rudimental. I've put some details on it and it looks just fine. For cockpit I've used Eduard zoom set for Hobbycraft. It needs some surgery to fit properly, but that is not a big issue.

There are few problems.

The engine cowling has some minor shape issues. This curve at the front needs to be a lot smoother, so some sanding is required. It won't be 100%, but it will looks nicer and much closer to the real thing.

Next problem are wheels. They are to simple. So I've changed them with True details set. The problem is a bigger diameter so sanding is required (again) on wheel struts and/or wheels.

The last issue and the biggest problem are wings. There are more than few problems with them + bad fit with fuselage. Intakes are too close to the fuselage, and wings looks maybe too short. I will have to live with this. I've inserted piece of styrene plate between fuselage and wings... that way You can have extra 1/2mm or so... it is something at least. The fit was bad anyway...

And there we are: First step... A color... few shades darker than what I want at the end.

Next... few color shades and weathering made with AK interactive washes/pigments.

I've spent 2 weeks making weathering... And It's not finished yet. I'm pretty satisfied with current situation. Upper side is at 90%... Underside still needs some work...

Decals are good... very thin and nice, but some are just a little out of register...

Wheel bay with some scratch build details

New update soon...

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: 1/48 HobbyBoss F8F Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Good work!

Offline 0viking0