Let Let Let - Warplanes > Ground Forces

Tunisian Tiger I (My Father's Tank)

(1/23) > >>

Second Air Force:
Time to start the thread on the SdKfz 181 Ausf.E build.

As some of you have read in earlier posts, this early-production Tiger was recovered by U.S. forces in Tunisia and shipped to the United States for testing at Aberdeen Proving Ground. It is still in existence today and is currently in Great Britain. There is some controversy (that I don't really know much about) surrounding this vehicle and its eventual return to the U.S. for museum display.

The real connection for me is that my father was part of the 1st Armored Division maintenance team that recovered and repaired this machine in Tunisia in the spring of 1943. More on that later.

Here are the principal elements I've gotten rounded up to build this monster:

I'll start some "in progress" photos at a later time.

Scott

Sall:
 :-ok

No.1:
This will be build with great background!!!

Second Air Force:
Yes, this will be a nostalgic build for me. Dad spoke of working on this Tiger a number of times when I was younger and I wish that I had written down his talks.

I was amazed at how much information there is on the web pertaining to the Tunisian Tigers, especially this vehicle and the British one that is now at Bovington.

I reckon that Tiger 712 is the only AFV still intact that I can confirm my father worked on. As such, it holds a special place for me.

Sall:
I love builds with story behind! And yours is very personal! Go ahead mate! I will certainly enjoy,hope you will to! :-flo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version