Let Let Let - Warplanes > Ground Forces

Tunisian Tiger I (My Father's Tank)

<< < (3/23) > >>

Second Air Force:
Yes, it's typical Tamiya where fit and exterior detail are concerned--GREAT! This isn't the newest or most technological SdKfz 181 kit on the market, though, and the age shows with the lack of interior detail. I don't find this a problem at all, but if someone wanted to build a really detailed Tiger there are better kits available today. This kit offered the exact configuration I needed to build Dad's tank and I can easily work around the missing interior stuff.

The photo of the hull deck shows a LOT of holes where Pioneer equipment, tow cables, and other equipment goes. These are nicely molded in the kit but I'm not using any of these items. 712 was found intact but with a broken drivetrain. Apparently, when the crew was forced to abandon it they took all the tools and cables along with them. All of the holes have now been filled with styrene sprue and a touch of filler in anticipation of using the Eduard PE stowage brackets.

No.1:
The most important point is that kit is correct, other things are less important (at least for me)

Sall:
 :-ok :-clap

Second Air Force:
I agree, No.1.  Thanks for the support, Sall! :-flo

There were two definite configurations of the Tiger in Tunisia, the  "first" or "initial" production and "early" production. The first few that were sent to North Africa were initial type and the second batch was of the early type. 712 was early production with some initial production elements and this tank gives the option to build it that way.

There is some erroneous information that this tank was originally numbered 112 and later renumbered 712. This information has been proven incorrect. Tiger 112 carried the serial number of 250012. Dad's machine was actually 250031. Photos of 112 and 712 show that they definitely had many different details, 112 being initial production and 712 being, as I stated earlier, an early production tank. It's rather confusing since the instrument panel from 112 somehow got installed in 712. I have wondered if the American crew had to take parts from other machines to prepare 712 for operation and that was when the panel of 112 got installed. No way to know--I wish Dad were still here to ask!

Second Air Force:
Here's a hull-and-turret post. I'm not really getting much done on this or the SAAB B 17 because our garden is taking up my time right now. Here in Oklahoma I can plant peas, radishes, onions, and pototoes this time of year.

First, the interior of the hull. This is truly only basic detail rather than the full interior that is offered by various manufacturers. I am only attempting to block off the sides and bottom of the fighting compartment for the casual viewer, not for contest quality. The only two openings that will be available to the open eye are the two turret hatches. These early Tigers had an off-white interior color with the red primer at the bottom section.

The turret sides and mantlet were then assembled and the top set in place temporarily.

Next, just to check the fit, the top of the hull and turret were set onto the hull for a visual check. All modelers want to see how it will look, don't we!? :-jump

The turret needs a small modification to properly represent 712. On most early production tanks there is a hatch on the right rear of the turret, used to load ammunition and as another escape hatch. 712 had the same configuration as the initial production machines, having a small-arms gun port in this location rather than the hatch. I simply glued the hatch in place and sanded/filled it smooth, then added the gun port. Tamiya provides two of these ports (thankfully) so this is quite easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version