Author Topic: Something New (and Old) VW Sedan  (Read 90778 times)

Offline modellius

• View Profile
Re: Something New (and Old) VW Sedan
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
still lot to do, but looks great, will be a nice one no doubt !

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
Hopefully it will turn out as I planned!

Tonight I sprayed grey from a new bottle of paint and I am a little unhappy. I used the same brand (Testors) but it looks like the new supply is quite a bit darker than the several year old bottle I started with. Perhaps I'll have to respray everything that is already finished, but this is a good time to find the problem rather than later!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 02:13:36 AM »
Tonight was the final primer day for this one. Several small areas needed repriming and the left door was sanded and grey primer sprayed over the red oxide from twenty years ago. I've also mixed my paint to the correct shade and resprayed some parts to match the original paint. After all paint was dry I fitted the interior parts one last time and made some tiny corrections. Next step will be to spray the exterior of the body.

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 06:09:22 AM »
This grey primer look's like military color (in this stage)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
That is the grey primer I always have used, and it is a good duplicate for some military grey colors! It is marketed through NAPA auto part stores here in the U.S. The nice thing is that I can also use it on Ingrid when I start the body work on the 1/1 car.

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
looks better and better every time, and no doubt ingrid will be a masterpiece

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »
Believe it or not, I've also done some small works on Ingrid this week. I made steel plugs to weld into all the extra holes that were created by a prior owner to add chrome strips and also to fill where turn signal lights were bolted to all four fenders.

Back to this one, the glass was masked and the weatherstripping painted on each pane. Next I assembled the Notek front and rear blackout lights and horn. Finally on this installment I found two acceptable headlight housings for inside the fenders--two spare I-16 spinners from the Eduard kits I've built in the last few years!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 06:12:14 AM »
I-16 spinners... :)) excellent!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 05:14:13 PM »
Yes, I was really concerned about how to make the headlight "buckets" and immediately thought of the most squared-off spinners that Eduard has in their kits as an option. Thankfully I had two of them!! Just had to fill in the propeller blade slots and hole in center and had an instant bucket.

Offline modellius

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
excellent !

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
I've had to "re-learn" basic modeling skills on this one.......I was all set up to spray the Panzergrau on the outside of all body parts when I thought about first cleaning my airbrush. It's been a while since I really used it, so I thought it was probably clean enough, especially since I was spraying flat paint. As you can guess, I failed! When spraying the front bonnet and both doors the brush began to spit so everything got shut down for an intense cleaning session. I did get the main shell painted before the problems started, so there was some progress........however, I'm now re-sanding the other parts and the airbrush will be sparkling clean when I go back to the paint booth.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »
One of these days I guess ;))

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Sure, someday!

I just seem to NEVER have enough time to devote to the model bench lately. I've all kinds of aircraft I'd like to start on (it's been a long time since I did a Bf 109, for example) and this poor VW needs completion. Even Ingrid has gotten very little attention other than finding parts. Problem is, I've been working seven days a week at my real job quite a lot. In a few weeks I'll have Christmas vacation so maybe then I can sit at the work bench and produce some relaxation!!

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »
I've corrected the paint on the doors and bonnet, then I found a place on the body shell that is bothering me so I'm repairing that also. I then wandered out to the shop and spent a little time stripping paint from Ingrid--the white respray was a quality paint and it's not fun to remove! So far it is worth it, though as the original grey is really smooth and shiny after stripping. Not bad for 61 year old paint!

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:41 AM »
Archeology work :)) and grey color is interesting shade