Let Let Let - Warplanes > Ground Forces

Something New (and Old) VW Sedan

(1/39) > >>

Second Air Force:
Here's a project I have had in storage since the early 1990s. Back then we drove mostly air-cooled VWs for daily transportation and I began to research the fascinating early days of the Volkswagen family. With that in mind I bought a couple of 1/16 scale Kafer kits and later on picked up two Kubels from Tamiya to supplement my plans.

Originally I started to back-date the early fifties sedan in the Revell kit to the wartime configuration, and the Tamiya drivetrain parts were later added in to sweeten the brew:

Here are a few of the resin parts I cast twenty years ago and also the upgraded wheelsets that I modified from the Tamiya pieces with my own machined hubs. Also you can see the mostly scratchbuilt front trunk and body interior sections:

And a quick photo of the body after most of the conversion back to a 1942 Typ 82 configuration:

draken35:
Great!

No.1:
This is great and popular :-ok

Second Air Force:
Thanks, my friends!

Recently I've become very interested in finding another old VW (1:1 scale) to restore before I grow too old to enjoy a project. I'm actively looking for something between late 1940s and 1957......So, I've gotten all my old Volkswagen history and reference books out of storage and felt it was the right time to work on this model while I search for a real Beetle!

This evening the inner rims were finally fabricated. The Revell kit has some rather poor parts for the "back" halves of the wheels so I took the front halves and machined the centers out of them. By doing this the proper dish of the wheels will be visible under the car and the brake drums and backing plate will have the proper offset:

Second Air Force:
Have you ever started up a project that has been on hold for a while? Each time I study this one I remember what I was thinking during the earlier attempt, even though the first time was twenty years ago.......! Tonight I worked on the seat frames a little, using the metal framework I scratchbuilt long ago. The rear seat and "luggage" tray were already in basic form and only required some extra fitting:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version