Author Topic: Your favorite airplane  (Read 5673 times)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Your favorite airplane
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:52:47 AM »
Maybe this is the most boring question on all of the forums but I am sure that everyone have it's favorite plane. Just some time ago our friend Santino started nice art topic with Hawker Tuphoon which was the brother of the Hawker Tempest. Still remember how I wish to have scale kit of this plane and in May 1982 my mother bring me a sample kit in 1/72 scale from Revell. No one was happy like me and more to that I get few cans of Revell paint, which stay my favorite paint until today [and they are really good!!!].

Well- every time have it's favorite and I am still impressed with many of planes world's or domestic manufacture [no need to mention IK-3, Yugoslav best fighter ever] but one plane still catch my eye. This is the Grumman Panther. Fighter plane with very clean and nice aerodynamich lines but to be honest never perform some top combat performance. I was always laughing when I have read memories of one fighter pilot of Panther who flew it in Korean war that "Panther swim like axe" and this story was described its landed on sea and his escape from plane which imediately went into fast dive.

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
Re: Your favorite airplane
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »
Great aircraft No.1

I think by now that you all know that I have a great love for the Canberra PR9. But there is also another aircraft in my life, that is the Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX.

The last and the greatest photographic reconnaissance variant of the PR Spitfires

It was powered by the Griffon 66 engine, with a max ceiling of 42,000ft. Its normal safe range was 1,160 miles, but this was extended to 1,550 miles by adding a 170 gallon overloaded drop-tank.

She could have a number of camera fits, listed below are the common ones:

1. Split pair of vertical F24 cameras with 14in or 20in lenses, one oblique F24 camera, fitted with either 8in or 14in lenses

2. Spilt pair of vertical F8 or F52 20in lens cameras.

3. Spit pair of vertical F52 36in lens camera

Some 225 models came off the assembly lines with production ending early 1946, but the aircraft was used in front-line photo reconnaissance service with the RAF until April 1954.

In fact the last time a Spitfire PRXIX was used to perform an operation act was in 1963 when one was used in battle trials against an English Electric Lightning to determine if a RAF Lightning could take on a piston engined aircraft.
This information was required because the RAF jets might have to engage P-51 Mustangs in the Indonesian conflict of the time.

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

HasBiba

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
 :-obey :-obey :-obey :-obey

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
Great aircraft.

I had the honour a number of years ago to work with one of the Squadrons that flew this bird  :-clap

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:07 PM »
Great aircraft.

I had the honour a number of years ago to work with one of the Squadrons that flew this bird  :-clap

Hey mate- please tell us story :)

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
Great aircraft.

Hey mate- please tell us story :)

There's not I can tell, but my section would unload and help process the reconnaissance imagery. This was back in the late 70's and early 80's.

The aircraft would have a red ring painted around it on the hanger floor, this was the 'kill zone' if you crossed that line, the USAAF guards could shot you. We had one small path in which we could get to our area of the aircraft and back out again.

One lad joked one day that they would not shot, 'yes I would' came a reply from a USAAF policeman who was standing behind this lad. His face was a dream, safe to say, no-one crossed that red line.  :-roll

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)