Author Topic: Warplane No. 06 B-58 Hustler  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
Warplane No. 06 B-58 Hustler
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:33:31 AM »
Here is a short review of the latest book from the Violaero series, Warplane No.06 Convair B-58 Hustler.

Authored by our own Nico Braas, this latest volume in the Warplane series is a great addition for anyone's library, but especially for those who are keen on learning more about the delta-winged B-58. The book is 48 pages plus covers packed with photos, many of which I have never seen before, and great text to go with the photos. Additionally there are a number of great profiles by Srecko Bradic and several technical drawings of the airplane and its component parts. The coverage Nico gives of the development aircraft is excellent, as is his description of the various weapons/fuel pods that could be carried by the Hustler.

In addition to normal operational use of the B-58, a section is devoted to the "dark side" of B-58 ops, the many accidents that occurred during its short service life. This was a supremely demanding machine and had an accordingly high accident rate--I think this is the most complete listing of the accident airplanes and their crews.

Also, as is usual with the format Nico employs, he gives us a current listing of the still-existing airframes and their locations.

I can't write this review without relating a short talk I had with a former B-58 pilot a number of years ago. He told me he never let down his guard when flying a B-58 and didn't know if he'd do it again if the opportunity arose. I asked him why he transitioned from his other flying assignment (B-47s) to the B-58 and he grinned........"Heck, I wouldn't have ever passed up the hottest thing in SAC when it was offered!"

This is a great book and I can't recommend it too highly! You can get your copy here: www.lanasta.com

Many thanks to Lanasta and Nico Braas for this review sample.
Scott

P.S. I apologize to the publisher and author for the lack of photos here--my camera is currently being repaired...... :-wall :-red
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:43:19 AM by Second Air Force »

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Warplane No. 06 B-58 Hustler
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »
Thank you for this insight about the title :))

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:32:33 AM »
I forgot to also mention a great surprise in this new book. I am a huge fan of the B-36 family and Nico managed to find a Convair photo of the now-engineless XB-36 parked behind a B-58 on the Convair ramp. This is a picture I hadn't seen before and was taken not too long before the XB-36 became a fire department training airframe.

Scott

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
I selected this nice shot for the book since it showed so clearly the difference in size between B-36 and B-58. The B-58 was not so big for a bomber; in particular its area-ruled fuselage was very slender!
Retrospectively we may say the B-58 was the most technically advanced aircraft of its time presenting all new kinds of technology. Its performances were far beyond anything that flew before and even today we can say that there is NO modern aircraft type of the same size and weight that can beat it; not even after 40 years. Yes....that B-58 really was an AWESOME machine!