Author Topic: The SSW Thread  (Read 17409 times)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
Re: The SSW Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
Yes, a print from the 60s from an unknown aviation buff's collection. I wonder what is the underground material under the plane and the wood in the background looks so strange in B/W. Like Amazon rain forest but had to buy it for a clear shot  :-green

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 05:16:32 AM »
 :-wise

Wingman:

Thak you for your files and phots.  I certainly appreciate them.

leo
Leo

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 09:16:33 PM »
Any detail about this? All I know it is a 1916 manufacture. Interesting camouflage.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 09:20:10 PM »
Another image from Nico Braas collection- is this SSW?

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 11:56:46 PM »
I can rule out, its not a SSW D.III nor D.IV. It looks to me more Fokkerish. An alien aircraft to me. Fuselage would fit with Fok. D.V but Fok D.V has only 2 pair of interplane struts this has 4 pairs. Fok D.IV is ruled out for tail rudder shape. D.III fits but i know it only with half open motor block.

I think its either a to me unknown Fokker type or a captured allied aircraft (or an unknown SSW model but it looks very untypical for an SSW at all, rudder doesnt fit propeller and motor covering also not)

This would be nice for Breguet Challenge  ;)

Bruno

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »
This would be nice for Breguet Challenge  ;)

Hello all
Nice to see it's possible here to have breguet 's challenge too :))

I think  i should have been the winner

This plane is a Fokker DV which was too much slow to have any chance to get service !
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/SPA124BRUNO/fokkerDV.jpg
The SSW Thread

Must be noted that it was the first designe of rheinhold Pflatz (the famous  fokker s' head designer )

cordialement
Bruno

Bruno

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 09:40:18 PM »
Any detail about this? All I know it is a 1916 manufacture. Interesting camouflage.

Hello N°1
These planes are Siemens Schuckert D1 -I had already seen that photo-but dont rememeber Where?

http://www.bealmear.com/dawn_patrol/siemens_schuckart.htm

Cordialement
Bruno

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »
Hi Bruno,

image I put is the from Siemens web site but I can not find correct address. I have get it long time ago and in meantime I have two times instaled PC system and many of bookmarks are failed to recover. Link is interesting :))

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 02:40:36 AM »
I cant find the link either but i had swept through this page some time ago and found some images:

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »
Yes, a print from the 60s from an unknown aviation buff's collection. I wonder what is the underground material under the plane and the wood in the background looks so strange in B/W. Like Amazon rain forest but had to buy it for a clear shot  :-green

I was amazed when i opened my small booklet "The Siemens Schuckert DIII&IV" Profile Publications by Peter L. Gray © 1966
On page 3 i find the image i posted under post #13 in this thread. It is not a SSW D.III but SSW DIIc D.7551/17 a long wing span prototype. According to Mr. Gray it flew first in Oktober 17. I had assumed it might be  a prototype because i could not find any other D.III with a 2 bladed propeller. All regular production D.III i have seen have 4 bladed propellers.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »
Damn interesting- four balde propeller! is it reason why this airplane was very good in intercepting and climb?

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »
Damn interesting- four balde propeller! is it reason why this airplane was very good in intercepting and climb?

Might be but main reason will be the motor concept of the 160 H.P. SH.III engine. I will quote a short passage from Mr Gray's publication:

[...]
In the Siemens engine the crancshaft revolved in one direction at 900 r.p.m. while the crankcase and cylinders rotated in the opposite direction, also at 900 r.p.m. This achieved a virtual engine speed of some 1,800 for an airscrew speed of only 900 r.p.m.; the obvious main advantage was in increased airscrew efficiency.[...] (p. 4, P.Gray, The Siemens Schuckert DIII&IV, Profile Publications 1966)

It is later said that: in further the developing of the motor the engine was fitted with twin magnetos and speed was governed by a proper throttle control, sensitive down to about 350 r.p.m. This was a considerable advantage over most rotaries of the period which ran flat out and were only partially controlled by a "blip switch" which cut the spark altogether for as long as depressed, or by a control  which cut the spark to certain cylinders, which system (in the Gnôme Monos) had a serious attendant fire hazard. (p. 5, P.Gray, The Siemens Schuckert DIII&IV, Profile Publications 1966)
[...]
Another advantage in the Siemens engine, over standard rotaries, was that a considerable degree of reciprocation was achieved in the opposite rotation of the cylinder and crankshaft masses which accordingly reduced the gyroscopic forces[/b].
(p. 5, P.Gray, The Siemens Schuckert DIII&IV, Profile Publications 1966)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:26:29 PM by Wingman81 »