Author Topic: Osprey deck landing  (Read 6519 times)

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
Osprey deck landing
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
HMS Illustrious has become the first Royal Navy ship to embark a US Marine Corps Bell/Boeing MV-22 Osprey aircraft onto its deck during a joint exercise in the United States.
The MV-22 Osprey, the world's first tilt-rotor aircraft, has a unique vertical take-off and landing capability.  It is ideally suited to working from the deck of HMS Illustrious, which is currently the UK's high readiness strike carrier.

Source - UK MoD

Link to the Boeing site about the MV-22
http://www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/v22/index.htm

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Osprey deck landing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:46:29 PM »
Impressive shots ;)

Metar

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
mfg495,

Impressive photos my favorite is the third one, thank you for sharing them with us  :-ok

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:31 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmfffffffffffffff........

And just think of it that the Fairey Rotodyne COULD have been operational at the British Navy some fifty years ago.
Those British must have done something terribly wrong................

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16:25 PM »
Yes  :-ok

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
In 1959 the British Government, seeking to cut costs, decreed that the number of aircraft firms be lowered and set forth their expectations for mergers in airframe and aero-engine companies. By delaying or withholding access to defence contracts the British firms could be manoeuvred into mergers. Fairey, then the helicopter division of Bristol, and Saunders-Roe were incorporated with Westland.

The larger Rotodyne design could be developed to take from 57 to 75 passengers which with the Rolls-Royce Tyne turboprops (5,250 shp) would have a cruising speed of 370 km/h. It would be able to carry nearly 7 tonnes of freight and British Army vehicles would fit into its fuselage. Government funding of some 5 million pounds was promised. The expected order from the RAF did not appear - they had no particular interest in the design with the issue of nuclear deterrence to the fore at the time. The Tyne engines were starting to appear underpowered for the larger design. Rolls Royce were told that they would have to fund the engine development itself.

However the end came when the interest shown by BEA did not provide an order and a request for an order by the military was turned down. The funding for the Rotodyne was cut in early 1962. The corporate management at Westland decided that further Rotodyne development towards production status was not worth the investment required.
After the program was terminated, the Rotodyne, which was, after all, government property, was dismantled and largely destroyed in the same way as the Bristol Brabazon.

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:50:57 PM »
 :-clap

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
When you read my story of the Fairey Rotodyne on the website you will see that the end of the Rotodyne may have been influenced not only by budget cuts, but also by poor company management!
When reading more recent magazine articles on the Rotodyne in British magazines it seems the decision to terminate the project is still seen as' the most logical and appropriate'! I disagree on this and I think the UK missed the boat at that time!

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
  • "Words will always retain their power."
    • View Profile
    • The Modeling Underdog - A haven of bad taste for the faint hearted.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »
I agree with you on themanagement issue here. Also the executives at that time were constantly looking at the Air Ministry, jumping at every question they were made. I think the epithome of that "nuthouse" behavior was the TSR.2 project. They tossed out of the window one of the finest planes ever, just to end up with three planes that do not fulfill by each of themselves all the roles covered by the TSR.2.

Don't missunderstand me please, the Buccaneer, Jaguar and Tornado are excelent machines, but how much stupidity can be contained in a comission chock full of brass hats to reject such a plane... and deciding the F-111 was the way to go... The brits lost the rudder's pedals in the 50s and 60s... That's sad because when they want to, british industry can produce excellent designs...

Just my humble point of view...

Cheers,

Javier
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."