Author Topic: Operation Odyssey Dawn  (Read 22019 times)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
Operation Odyssey Dawn
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
France: Charles de Gaulle is coming. Rafales from Dijon and other bases are coming
Denmark: 5 F-16
Norway: F-16?
USA: U.S.S. Enterprise U.S.S Barry and a Carrier group, Some B-2 Bombers from Italy
UK: ?
Germany: No comment ^^

I dont want a political debate but what is your opinion. Is this operation useful from the military point of view?

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Operation Odyssey Dawn
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
Very hard situation. At least this force should be triple counted if West want to do anything. But this is one more situation where is violation against other country and it is real question is the situation which really happen there directed from West.

Technically- if in Libya fly professionals from other countries, this would be problem for West. Also- B-2 was shot down over my country in 1999 (no matter that this is refused to confirm...) so there would not be much advantage in stealth capabilities. Also note that crew which fall there would be faced with people rage.

Very bad situation :(

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
I will be very glad if I see shot down a coalition aircraft. As U.S. pilot named Kandza says during the NATO aggression on Yugoslavia,i hope that the pilots will be in them.Joke, of course. I'm not so pig. But I look forward to each shom down plane, purely for the sake of evidence that no one is powerful!
As far as I am informed, and did,the French participate with two Mirage 2000D, two Mirage 2000-5 and eight Rafale B & C. These are planes that the French violated the sovereignty of Lybia, and got involved in a state problem,for the sake of oil!
Also, B-2 bombers to take off only from America, not taking off from Italian airbase Aviano!

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
And one more information:Coalition forces were fired last night more than 112 BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles, each of these missiles cost about 570,000 $.In today RAF attacks  participate Tornado IDS,i do not know yet how many of them.

Offline Paul Bradley

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
There was footage of RAF Tornadoes on their way.

What I find interesting and ironic is that the British Government just had the big defence review and cuts, stating that they didn't see another war happening for at least ten years. And here we are, just 4 months later......When will politicians ever learn.....?

Also saw footage of US Marine AV-8Bs in action - funny that the RAF/Royal Navy used to have that capability until recently as well....

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
From my point of view,the operation of coalition forces is justified,because the quantity of oil that will steal from the Libyan people will be a lot of money already invested in combat equipment,to the oil seized.

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
I wondered either why they shoot Tomahawks. It would be enough to face enemy aircraft and stop tanks. Who will be so crazy and go in there with ground troops? I dont think this will happen. As for the oil. We have 2% of Petrol from Libya that is not really what we need from there. But we have to think the western countries will know exactly what Gaddafi has with arms cause most of the things we sold him ^^

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
One question,but i want to answer me honestly.Do you really think that the war started in order to protect the demonstrators which are armed with AA guns,planes,or there is something in the background?Watch out what you will answer me.

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Watch out what you will answer me.

Sall- this term is not good to be used in conversion, at least not on our forum.

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »
My honest answer is: I think nothing because I get barely no information from inside Libya. I just rate the tactical measures of this operation, and question how far it is supposed to do any good if you read between the lines.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
I thought it a good look at all the events, then let him say what his opinion. I had no intention to threaten, i'm sorry if that sounded. Among other things, the Arab League, expressing regret that the aggression and supported the bombing of Libya. They say they want no-fly zone, not a rocket attack Libya.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »
Italian carrier Garibaldi with 6 Harriers on board has been put under the command of the coalition.The four Danish F-16's returned to base a short while ago.6 Italian Tornados (4 Tornado ECR 2 Tornado IDS buddy tankers)and 2 F16 just left Trapani headed for Libya.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »
3 Whiteman Air Force Base B-2s
 flew a more-than-25-hour,round-
trip mission from Missouri to Libya
 and back, enforcing the U.N. no-fly
 zone.
45 Joint Direct Attack Munitions
 were employed by B-2 Spirit
 bombers against aircraft shelters for
 Odyssey Dawn no-fly zone last
 night.In the same attack are used F-15E and F-16.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
Is this no-fly zone?