Author Topic: Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 ‘Black Two’ groundloops at show  (Read 6395 times)

samuraj77

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 ‘Black Two’ groundloops at show

DATE:27/05/08
SOURCE:Flight Daily News

Berlin’s Schönefeld airport was shut for more than an hour yesterday afternoon after the EADS historic flight’s Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 ‘Black Two’ – piloted by Walter Eichhorn – groundlooped onto the grass after landing on the tarmac following the aircraft’s ILA2008 display.

The starboard undercarriage leg of the “Augsburg Eagle” as the type is known, collapsed causing the starboard wing tip and the propeller to strike the ground – stopping the engine – as the aircraft completed a 120-degree ground-loop to starboard.  At the time of writing, it is not known whether the undercarriage leg collapsed before the aircraft left the runway, out of control – or whether the collapse was caused by the groundloop itself.
An EADS spokesman said that an investigation was underway and it was believed that the damage to the aircraft was relatively light. The aircraft was lifted back onto its undercarriage – using airbag technology – and was then wheeled back to dispersal. This particular Messerschmitt is a ‘hybrid’ airframe, using the fuselage from a Bf 109G-10 and the wings from a Spanish-built Hispano HA-1112-M1L Buchon which originally had a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

Helicopter pilot and photographer Thilo Petry was taking shots of the ME262 in the regular flying display when he heard shouts and saw the World War II classic Bf 109G careering across the grass “I saw the starboard wing tip hit the ground and I kept taking photographs until the dust cleared. I saw the pilot climbing out of the cockpit almost immediately.”
The Bf 109 is a notoriously difficult aircraft to land, especially on Tarmac, as many young, freshly-trained pilots discovered during the Second World War when the attrition rate from landing accidents was often greater than that from air-to-air combat against Spitfires and Hurricanes.

The ‘Augsburg Eagle’  – was praised for its flying characteristics – but feared for its landing behaviour, even when alighting on the grass surfaces it was originally designed for in the 1930s.

Sourcehttp://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/05/27/224127/ila-2008-pictures-messerschmitt-bf-109g-10-black-two-groundloops-at-show.html

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 ‘Black Two’ groundloops at show
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
Thank you for fast info!

Offline mfg495

• By Day or Night
    • View Profile
    • AirRecce
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »
Thanks for the information, its always sad when an aircraft like this crashes

ΚΑΘΟΡΩΜΕΝ ΑΙΣΤΟΙ
(We Observe unseen)

Letipapa

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
Huh! It was hot there. :-/ If damage is not big one, then they can by happy.
That type of landing gear on Me Bf 109 is a bit unstable one - goes somehow from center just a little bit outwards. Hmmmm, very sensitive. :(
 :-wave

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »
 :-wise
The Messerschmitt 209, a projected replacement for the 109, corrected the very weak and badly engineered landing gear of the 109.  They also had a 309 under development which featured a trycicle landing gear.  They were two interesting designs which never saw production.

I hope the Gustav is salvageable.
Leo

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
It seems the propeller did not touch the ground and that would mean there is no engine damage.
Think it will be a tough job anyhow before it flies again!
So, during the air display on Saturday (which I visited) only the Me-262 replica could be flown.
However, there WAS a 'Me-109'! In fact it was an ultra-light version with a 35 hp Rotax engine.
Incredible to see a familiar shape flying so slow........
Stalling speed is just 59 km/h!!

For hobbyists: kit is available for EURO 35,000!

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
I never know that there is ultra light version!!!

Letipapa

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
  :-tri That,s for me. Are there any ultralight Fw 190D-9 :-green :-green
Than this kind of Me Bf109 must have short landing and take off, which is good if you travell whit it. :-think :) :-wave
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:44:00 PM by No.1 »