Author Topic: Italian markings on Breguet  (Read 6494 times)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Italian markings on Breguet
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:29:20 AM »
Hi friends,

I get following mail and image from one of our visitors:

Hello,

on a aerospace publishing aircraft-picture I find a unkown red framed italian roundel with the fasces symbol inside. Is this realistic? Also the coat of arms on the italian flag on the fin seems not to be in the right place. Maybee you can help me with some more information on this strange looking warbird insignia? Many thanks!
Zdenek

Any idea or sugestion?

Offline santynus

• http://www.fw190.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • focke-wulf Fw190 & other aircraft
Re: Italian markings on Breguet
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
I found some photo and color profile about this aircraft from www.luftwaffe-experten.org...

Offline santynus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:19:06 AM »
other photo and color profile...

Offline santynus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
other photo and color profile...

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
Thank you veru much for your kind reply :) I have passed your findings and here you are answer:

Wonderfull Srecko,

thank you very much for answering me so fast! Yes it´s true, the italian insignia on the tailfins changed from black to tri-color with the beginning war. Now I learned from you that even the crest could change its position. I never noticed this detail before. But whats about the red framed roundels? I don´t know how old the profile-picture really is. I scaned it from Chris Chants book and find it later also on a web page. The whole problem started when I read the descrption under that picture in my book. Sadly this german edition was translated so badly that sometimes it is hard to understand. Most of those descriptions described also that particular shown profile picture. But not in this case here. It was only saying that the germans handled a few breguets over to the italians. Because of the roundels and the crest I wasn´t sure if this picture shows really a italian plane. Only the axis´white stripe ( mediterian theatre) on the rear fuselage seems to prove this. When I searched trought the internet I found this equal picture with the description saying it was realy a italian plane. So I wondered only about the roundels which I never saw before. When I took a closer look on that picture I found that even on the fuselage must have been painted a (french) roundel before which was now only covered with  dark paint. And even the camouflage was in the french style, so I presumed that this plane was quickly changed to regia aeronautica insignia by painting simply the fasces symbol into the roundels. Unfortunetely the lower roundels are not so clearly to recognize and that there were black fasces stripes in there is not definitivly clear. But you have the right hint for me. The truth could only be find when looking at the original photography from which this profile was copyed. Maybee someone have  already seen it, and answer on the forum. And probably someone kown something about those breguets in italian service and in which markings and camouflage they really were used. So thank you again for this time and hoping to hear something about the results in the forum where you gratefuly posed my question. Okay, thats all for now from me.
Bye, Zdenek

Offline santynus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »
when the vichy air for was disbanded the regia aeronautica take a lot of french aircraft they take some breguet too, the photo posted show some breguet used for training. I think "the fasci" insignia are apply on the field for cover the old french mark. in one photo is visible that. the regia aeronautica recived 18 Breguet 693 at 31 july 1943