Author Topic: Polikarpov I-3  (Read 6962 times)

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Polikarpov I-3
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:52:02 PM »
In 1925 the Aviatrest Central Design Bureau was established in Moscow. The department of aircraft building of this bureau was headed by Nikolay Polikarpov. Since 1926 began the development of a new fighter for Red Army Air Forces. It received I-3 designation ("third fighter"). On February 21, 1928 the first flight of piston fighter I-3.

I-3 was one-seat seskiplane of a mixed wood-metal-cloth construction with the non-retractable (wheeled or ski) landing gear. It was equipped with 750 hp M-17 engine (licensed copy of German BMW VI). Maximal speed was 263 km/h, range - 585 km. Armament consisted of two ? 7.62 mm machine guns.

During tests the new fighter showed good flight performance and it was recommended for serial production. Already in 1928 the I-3 was taken into service. Total of 399 planes were built. I-3 became the main fighter of the Red Army Air Forces at that time. In 1931 it began to be replaced by more modern planes, and by 1934 it was completely removed from the first line units.