Author Topic: Cessna 172 - YU-BRI  (Read 11664 times)

Offline Sall

• Build what YOU want,the way YOU want to,and above all-have fun!
    • View Profile
Cessna 172 - YU-BRI
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
First at all,something about the plane. :-flo

The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is a four-seat, single-engine, high-wing fixed-wing aircraft. First flown in 1955 and still in production, more Cessna 172s have been built than any other aircraft.

Measured by its longevity and popularity, the Cessna 172 is the most successful mass produced light aircraft in history. The first production models were delivered in 1956 and they are still in production. As of 2008, more than 43,000 had been built. The Skyhawk's main competitors have been the Beechcraft Musketeer and Grumman AA-5 series (neither in production), the Piper Cherokee and, more recently, the Diamond DA40.

The Cessna 172 started life as a tricycle landing gear variant of the taildragger Cessna 170, with a basic level of standard equipment. In January 1955 the company had flown an improved variant of the Cessna 170, a Continental O-300-A powered Cessna 170C with a larger elevator and more angular vertical tail. Although the variant was tested and certified, Cessna decided to modify it with a tricycle landing gear and the modified Cessna 170C flew again on 12 June 1955. To reduce the time and cost of certification the type was added on to the Cessna 170 type certificate as the Model 172. Later the 172 was given its own type certificate 3A12.The 172 became an overnight sales success and over 1,400 were built in 1956, its first full year of production.

Cessna 172G

Early 172s were similar in appearance to the 170, with the same straight aft fuselage and tall gear legs, although the 172 had a straight vertical tail while the 170 had a rounded fin and rudder. Later 172 versions incorporated revised landing gear and the sweptback tail which is still in use today.The final aesthetic development in the mid-1960s, was a lowered rear deck that allowed an aft window. Cessna advertised this added rear visibility as "Omni-Vision" . This airframe configuration has remained almost unchanged since then, except for updates in avionics and engines, including the Garmin G1000 glass cockpit in 2005. Production had been halted in the mid-1980s, but was resumed in 1996 with the 160 hp (120 kW) Cessna 172R Skyhawk and was supplemented in 1998 by the 180 hp (135 kW) Cessna 172S Skyhawk SP.

Electric-powered 172

In July 2010 Cessna announced it was developing an electrically-powered 172 as a proof-of-concept in partnership with Bye Energy. George Bye, CEO of Bye Energy, said "This is an ambitious effort, but we are continuing to uncover additional efficiencies with electric-powered flight. We are grateful to Cessna for its continued collaboration and support." Cessna CEO Jack Pelton stated that the project reflects "encouraging news for the future of mainstream general aviation." Pelton pointed out "the electric power plant offers significant benefits, but there are significant challenges to get there."

Cessna 172E instrument panel

The Cessna 172 may be modified via a wide array of Supplemental Type Certificates, including increased engine power and higher gross weights. Available STC engine modifications increase power to 180 to 210 hp (134 to 157 kW), add constant speed propellers, or allow the use of automobile gasoline. Other modifications include additional fuel tank capacity in the wing tips, add baggage compartment tanks, add wheel pants to reduce drag, or enhance landing and takeoff performance and safety with a STOL kit.

I live near the airport Divci, near Valjevo.
The airport has several aircraft that fly everyday. On Sunday I took a picture one of them in flight. It is a Cessna 172, YU-BRI designation.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
Re: Cessna 172 - YU-BRI
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
I found some pictures of the aircraft to Airliners, I assume that the images from the early history of the aircraft.

Profa

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »
Small OT - Yesterday I watched "Passenger 57" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105104/),
and laughed when one of characters said for Lockheed Tristar "this is the biggest Cessna I've ever seen". :)

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
I watched that film! :)) :))

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »
Interesting topic :-ok ... I did not watch this movie...

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:26:12 AM »
Some new pictures... :-roll

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
YU-BRI is identical to an airplane I used to maintain and fly at a flight school I was employed at. Right down to the paint scheme--the only thing missing is that ours had wheel pants. Brings back good memories of a simpler time for me!

Scott

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
 :-flo

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
Cessna 172 (PH-RIE)was the plane of my para course in the summer of 1971 at Texel airfield!
Picture shows 'yours truly' boarding for his very first jump!
Those were interesting times///////
PH-RIE crashed following year when it hit a winch launch cable of the local gliding club.

Offline Sall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »
I see this plane arouse  many beautiful memories. ;)  :-flo

Offline Second Air Force

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
I see this plane arouse  many beautiful memories. ;)  :-flo

It does for me as I maintained four of them at our little flight school. A simple, reliable, almost unbreakable airplane that also flys honestly. In fact it is actually TOO easy to fly in some ways!

Scott