Author Topic: BMW Motor history  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
    • Kilians Historical Aircraft Blog
BMW Motor history
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: BMW Motor history
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
Yeah- great info. Can you help about translation of the text as well it is all German. This image is nice:

:-wave

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
I see... hard to select text.

samuraj77

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »
This is the tool
http://www.google.com/language_tools

When you open the tool,you can copy the link of the page you want to translate and choose language...
Cliking the link in my previous message should lead you directly to the page translated on English... :-ok

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
Ok that helps a little :)

Short summary:
Part I:

Basically it is about the development of the BMW IIIa motor. A motor developed for great altitudes. Besides BMW was before called the Rapp motor company. In February when a new chief engeneer Max Friz arrived from Mercedes he wanted to do an overcompressed motor because he wasnt able to do this project at Mercedes (Daimler). This concept was suggested by Wilhelm Maybach a year before (1916) but wasnt realized. On 20 May 1917 Friz registered the first construction draft for the new motor. The engineer based it as a 6 cylinder in-line motor, which would ensure optimal mass compensation and therefore a low vibration level. The overdimensioned Cylinder head and cylinder were constructed as a combined unit to avoid a critical head gasket.

One of the most important components of the innovative engine Friz constructed with a special high-altitude carburetor. A System of 3 mixing chambres, each 3 Air - and fuel injectors as well as 5 throttle valves worked so together that the mixing could be regulated to the specific flight altitude
The pilot had to have two levers for normal or Höhengas. This mix regulation should bring the motor later a very good proportion between performance and consumption. The design drawings were still not quite finished, in July 1917 as a commission of the army visited Rapp-engine plants to discuss the project.
After its construction Friz presented and explained, the military was so convinced that they promptly ordered 600 pieces of the engine.

Through this success several internal restructurings were done within the company and company founder Rapp left the company. On July 21 1917 the company was renamed in Bayerische Motorenwerke.
It was only then when the actual company logo was replaced by the today sitll actual logo with the white blue colors of bavaria. etc etc. :)

On December 23 1917 first BMW engine withe the designation IIIa took lift off within a Rumpler C.IV. It had 185 PS (hp) and 2500 were ordered by the military.  Until war's end not all could be delivered.

Note from Wingman81: Same motor was also in the Fokker D.VII, designated as Fokker D.VII(F). Pilots preferred this motor over the regular Mercedes D.III ones. Later Mercedes made D.IIIaü motor with 200 PS

Next part tomorrow  :-cool

Letipapa

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:12:55 AM »
Very good, and nice theme. Continue please, there is a lot of BMW airplaine engines. :) :-wave

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »
Part II:

Altitude World record: 9.760 meters.

On the basis of the success-motor the engineers developed additional variants in the last months of the war (1918) amonst others also the BMW IV with increased cubic capacity and 250 PS (hp). With this engine the test pilot Zeno Diemer reached an altitude of 9760 meters on 9 June 1919. Nobody before him had reached such high altitudes and Friz's motor concept finally payed off.

Offline Nico Braas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
This is what BMW means for me!
I owned this bike (A 900 cc BMW R90S) for some years in the seventies and it was a real mean machine.
It costed me the most expensive ticket for speeding I ever had (I was clocked at 192 km/h by the police!)

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
Nice machine Nico  :-ok
We used to have a BMW 1987 525e Limousine. We wanted it to make it an oldtimer, but unfortunately someone crashed into its back in 2004 and after that i was a complete write-off due to frame damage.

Like the one in the photo but ours was silver metallic  :-cool
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:29:28 PM by Wingman81 »

Offline Leo

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »

:-wise
Rapp preceded BMW engines and they were not well regarded.  As good as they were the BMW's did not outperform sthe engines designed by Porsche for the Austrians. The 225Hp Daimler which was mounted in teh 253 series Oeffag Albatross is an example.  Had the war continued the kuk lft would have had their version of the DVII Fokker with that engine and it would have out performed the Bimmer.

I owned four BMW bikes.  They were super.  My favorite though was a Moto Guzzi 850.  I reelly love Italian machinery.  You have to futz with them but they are fun.

BMW autos are very nice, but they have a problem where i live.  We are very hilly and often have bad winters.  BMW's are useless in the snow.  As the say in the old country, "BMW geht nicht in Schnee."
Leo

Offline Wingman81

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »
Yes, rear drive can be a task in snow. Fortunately it snows very seldomly here where i live  ;)