Author Topic: A Find of old photo's  (Read 13192 times)

Letipapa

A Find of old photo's
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
Well, it may be that this is not totaly right place for this, but I don't have any other aviation home than this. :)
So, here it is. Now, I will start with posts of what I found at our house in small village Kastel Gomilica (near city of Split), in Dalmatia, Croatia.

It all started when I remmemberd that I saw a big photo of an white hydroplane and sailors arround it (and that photo I still didn't find), so when I became interested whit aviation more (before few years), I started to look for it. So, this summer I found lot of things, mpostly small photos from old albums of my aunt who was merried for an aviator. I found lot of other documents too (legitimations, letters, documents), so it is a hard work in front of me, and I do not have whole day for it.
That is why I decided to first post things here, if everybody agree, so we can discuss it, could be that all of you togeather help me in some way, I don't know... simply I feell this is a place where I should do it.
Please let me now your opinions, let me have permission to continue.
For now ,I will start with photo's where airplanes can be seen.

This photo is ceartenly from hydro base in Divulje, which still egsists today - situated on the sea shore almost in front of modern Kastela airport (LDSP) that is an airport of Split city.
I know that from other photo's and documents. It had to be some celebration day, probably relligios hollyday (in Serbian "slava", as my uncle wrote in one other ocasion to my aunt. Very cute, because this term is used mostly in Serbia  where the ortodox predominate. Enyway it shows an interesting peculiarity of life in Kingdom of Yugoslavia - people respected others. It was not all mutual hate, in a contrary , it was mutual respect).

First is whole photo, then the back (nothing on it except a photo paper producer :-green), and than details. I have any concept of what type this hydroplanes are, especialy that huge one on the last photo. :-wave

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
Re: A Find of old photo's
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »
Excellent find and thank you for sharing  :-ok :-clap

Letipapa

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
Well, thank You No.1 :-salut
But that is just biggining. Here are two more, I belive from the same event, but after the ceremony, etc (see the same background - same paper).

phot.1: My uncle is 4th from left (his hand on the shoulder of a comrade). They all stay in front of a big robust hydroplane (whta type it is ? :-think).
phot.2: the back side.
phot.3: This looks like a situation thet preceeded first photo. My uncle is 3th from left. Photo is not so dharp one.
phot.4: the back side.
 :-wave

Letipapa

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:46:42 AM »
Also the same day in front of a same hydroplane.
phot.2:  detail.
phot.3: the back side.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:52:11 AM »
Dornier DoD

Letipapa

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »
Thanks No1 :-ok :-clap

Here is two more, but I think these are after the break of Kingdom of Yugoslavia, when, I suppose, aviation on the seaside came under the Independent State of Croatia (pro fascist NDH).
(Of course my uncle was not fascist, but just an aviator - I am still on the beginning of discovering of his story, but for this fact I am sure - it was allways pointed out in family)

phot.1: in front of an unknowen biplane
phot.2: I blowed up a detail of propeller, maybe somebody recognize it? :-think
phot.3: the back side
phot.4: in front of big 3 engined airplane (Savoia Marketti ? :-think), as a member of a crew that apperently transported this unknowen officer (? :-think)
phot.5: the back side.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »
Tri motor plane is Avia Fokker AF.39. Will see for the first image.

Letipapa

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
Oh! Ok, thank's :-ok :-wave

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »
Ooooppppsss... I forget to say in PM- I get your mail ;)

Letipapa

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
Thank You No1 for info about airplanes on photo's. Well, lot of things are unknown on these photo's (reason I post the back sides is for everybody to see - there is nothing, no date, no place...).
The same thing is with this one. What type of airplane it could be; probably the gunner is my uncle (but is it for sure?), where is this scene happening?
I blew up a detail of the vilagge which is very speciffic with this thin line (kind of harbour dam, or what -sorry I dont know the exact word for it) on the left side. There are no many (if any other than this) seaside villages on the northern Adriatic coast like this. It makes little easyer the search for me. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:46:04 PM by Letipapa »

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »
This is the gunner portion on the Do D float plane ;)

Letipapa

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
Well, well, well! :-green Now I begin to feel like a kind of aviation Dr. Watson. Thank You Mr. Sherlock Holmes :-obey :-green :-clap :-clap :-clap
Story is unveiling very slowly.

Letipapa

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
But now, we have Englishmen here on the scene :-clap
. Date: august 1932. Aircraft carrier "Glorious" in a Split harbour (actually anchored in a front of the harbour). The rowing race was held, also (Yugoslavs won :-tri :)). I made some blow ups, and I must admit that if I was there at that time, the scene of airplanes on the carrier would be enaph to decide to be an aviator. We can only imagine that this was a case with a young sailor, who my uncle at that time certainly was.

The text on the back says: An English aircraft carrier "Glorious" in Split harbour. August 1932. M.P (initials are for Milicic Pavle).

Also there is a date stamp (when the photo was developed): "28. IX 1932".

Offline javier_planells

• Beginner
  • "Words will always retain their power."
    • View Profile
    • The Modeling Underdog - A haven of bad taste for the faint hearted.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »
Hi Letipapa,

that's a wonderful collection of pictures you've got there. About the unidentified biplane, could it be a Breguet XIX with radial engine? I say so because of the bracing wires running from the wheel to the wing, wich is a key feature on the XIX. The radial engine seems to be of american design. What troubles me are the struts supporting the upper wing, wich I do not recall on the Breguet and the axle in the landing gear, as opposed to a double bracing wire in the XIX if I remenber correctly.

Another mistery!

I don't think it's a Potez 25, unless it's a very strange one!

Cheers,

Javier
Javier Planells
"Do you know what Nemesis means? It is a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a horrible bastard, ME."

Letipapa

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »
Thanks Javier. :-ok
I do not know if it is Breguet but I recall that in some letter it is mentioned that they have some training on some Breguet - I am not sure, I must find this letter that I found few years before. I'm still in getting all these documents in order.
Once again thank you - all these post of you, friends, will help to create some final story about this. Here, information is slowly growing, and than everything will be compared, matched... we will see.... :) :-wave